Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Intel SGX + DC Persistent Memory

PYuhala
Beginner

Hello, 

I would like to know if there is the possibility of having Intel SGX as well as Intel DC Persistent Memory technology on a server. I have done multiple searches over the years but servers always come with one or the other, but never both. Are there any inherent reasons why both can't co-exist ?

I know my question is not related to Intel SGX programming itself, but I will appreciate if you can shed some light on this, or give me a few pointers on where I could get more information regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Peterson Yuhala

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello PYuhala,

Thank you for your patience.

Intel® SGX is a new platform feature designed to provide enhanced security protections for application data independent of the operating system or hardware configuration.

The Intel Optane Persistet Memory (PMem) does not work with Intel SGX in order to maintain security properties . There are no software workarounds possible to mitigate these required changes. However, Intel is working to drive a solution for future platforms.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello PYuhala,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

To better assist you, can you please let us know the following details:

• Where is this memory going to be installed? (Server model)
  • Just to confirm, do you want to know if Intel DC persistent memory can be used at the same time with Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)?
  • Is there any specific set up that you want to make with the software and memory?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
PYuhala
Beginner

Hello, I have no specifics concerning the server model. I just noticed there aren't any servers available that I know of, which support both technologies. As you said, my main concern is if Intel DC persistent memory can be used at the same time with Intel SGX.  

If you have any idea of servers which support both, I will be pleased to know about them.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello PYuhala,

Thank you for your response.

Please allow me some time to check into your question, I will get back with more details.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello PYuhala,

Thank you for your patience.

Intel® SGX is a new platform feature designed to provide enhanced security protections for application data independent of the operating system or hardware configuration.

The Intel Optane Persistet Memory (PMem) does not work with Intel SGX in order to maintain security properties . There are no software workarounds possible to mitigate these required changes. However, Intel is working to drive a solution for future platforms.

Regards,

Adrian M.

PYuhala
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Your answer has cleared my doubts.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello PYuhala,

Thank you for your response.

We are glad your doubts were cleared, this thread will be closed, if you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos