Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Linux18.04 becomes SGX invalid after `apt upgrade`

Liao__JInghui
Beginner

Hello,

My Linux device worked fine with SGX before I run `apt upgrade`, but after that, my system becomes SGX invalid while running SampleEnclave application(No other SGX application could run as well). Tried to uninstall SGX driver and reinstall it mant times, nothing changed. Anybody could help me? Even if some suggestions to cleanly remove everything related to SGX from my system would help. Struggled for many days, please help me out of this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
guan__jixing
Novice

I have met this problem, my case was caused by the kernel version's update, isgx.ko is installed in old kernel folders and when u run `apt upgrade` system will use new kernel when it reboot.

Use `modinfo isgx` to find where the driver file is and select this kernel version at boot time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
guan__jixing
Novice

I have met this problem, my case was caused by the kernel version's update, isgx.ko is installed in old kernel folders and when u run `apt upgrade` system will use new kernel when it reboot.

Use `modinfo isgx` to find where the driver file is and select this kernel version at boot time.

0 Kudos
Guo__Jinnan
Beginner

Hi Jinghui:

You are facing this problem because your driver version is unmatched with your new kernel version.

Use "modinfo isgx", the kernel version your driver supported is shown in the "vermagic" field. 

Please uninstall the driver, then clone a new repo and make, install again. If you use make clean on old repo, the driver version won't change.

0 Kudos
Liao__JInghui
Beginner

guan, jixing wrote:

Thank you for your answer, I finally solved this issue by deleting intel_sgx.ko that I am not quite sure what it is. 

0 Kudos
Junli_S_Intel
Employee

Intel_sgx.ko is the sgx drive that supports Flex launch control feature.

0 Kudos