Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

SGX and the 2016 MacBook Pro

Thomas_L_5
Beginner

Hi,

The new 2016 MacBook Pro ships with either an i7 (Skylake) 6700HQ or a 6820HQ. Both of those CPUs support SGX but there is no macOS support for SGX. 

Is it possible to develop SGX applications on this platform (non-simulation mode) when running Windows or Ubuntu in a virtual machine running on macOS?

Thanks in advance,

TS

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Surenthar_S_Intel
0 Kudos
Will_M_3
Beginner

Greetings,

I see there is no SGX support for macOS.  Does anyone know if SGX will work when running Windows 10 via Bootcamp on the 2016 MacBook Pro??

Thank you. 

W-M

0 Kudos
Anusha_K_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Boot Camp reformats the flash drive as a Mac bootable install disk, and combines Windows 10 with install scripts to load hardware drivers for the targeted Mac computer. As given here the hardware is not directly accessed by windows in mac and we need to  virtualize the SGX hardware features (extensions to the IA-32 instruction set) for access in windows which cannot be done as of now as given here : https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-software-guard-extensions-intel-sgx/topic/700016. Hence I think  we cannot use bootcamp for SGX support in mac.

0 Kudos