Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

is sgx available in VMs?

quizy_j_
Beginner

Is sgx available in VMs? If it is, what hypervisors are supported?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Surenthar_S_Intel

Yes, SGX is available in VMs, please check with respective hypervisors and confirm.

0 Kudos
quizy_j_
Beginner

Surenthar S. (Intel) wrote:

Yes, SGX is available in VMs, please check with respective hypervisors and confirm.

I know there are programming guides in enabling sgx with VM in the "Intel® Software Guard Extensions Programming
Reference", but I haven't found any existing VMM products supporting that. There is an SGX_ERROR_HYPERV_ENABLED in "Intel® Software Guard Extensions User's Guide for Windows* OS", but I havn't found any hyper-v release note regarding with SGX.

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Intel SGX technology is available in all VMs.You have to check with ISV's release note for Microsft hyper-v

0 Kudos
quizy_j_
Beginner

So do you mean SGX feature is default to open and available to VMs as soon as the host bios enabled the SGX feature? Currently no configuration option with SGX is available to all the mainline hypervisors, including VMware Workstation, Virtualbox, Xen, Kvm. I havn't tried the latest hyper-v, but that on windows server 2008 r2 has no configuration option for SGX too.

0 Kudos