Intel® oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler
Talk to fellow users of Intel® oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler and companion tools like Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Library, Intel® DPC++ Compatibility Tool, and Intel® Distribution for GDB*

Compile error related to IPO or LTO

NormalEngineer
Beginner

Hello.

I am trying to apply IPO or LTO option to optimize our Software.

But When we added compile option -flto or -ipo, segmentation fault occurred in linking time.

Our toolchain(Intel oneAPI DPC++ toolchain) version is 2021.1.0. Even I updated the compiler to 2024.1.0, the error was not solved.

But I changed the compiler from ICX/ICPX to clang/clang++ and plug-in from icx-lto.so to LLVMgold.so and the error was resolved.

Clang version is 16.0.6 (Red Hat 16.0.6-2.module+el8.9.0+19521+190d7aba)

And I added -v option to get detail log but I couldn't get any clue.

Please let me know if there is other way to find out where the segmentation fault occurred.

And I would like to ask an additional question following the main problem.

Is it possible for icpx users to control the parameters that are internally passed from icpx to the default linker? such as, using icpx command options, changing environment files, and so on.

Currently, this is the part of the parametesr passed from icpx to the ld linker internally.

"-plugin /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2021.2.0/linux/bin/../lib/icx-lto.so -plugin-opt=mcpu=cascadelake -plugin-opt=O2 -plugin-opt=-vector-library=SVML -plugin-opt=-disable-hir-generate-mkl-call -plugin-opt=-intel-libirc-allowed -plugin-opt=-loopopt=0 -plugin-opt=-enable-lv".

I'd like to control and change something like this.

Please let me know if you need additional information to solve this issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Gunwook, we would like to inform you that we are routing your query to the dedicated team for further assistance.

0 Kudos
yzh_intel

Hi @NormalEngineer , 

For the link time segmentation fault, is it possible for you to share the log with "-v" option ? This can help identify where the segmentation fault happens.  If you want to freely modify the linker options, can you separate compilation and linking steps, so you have full control of the options ?

0 Kudos
NormalEngineer
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply. We decided to contact Intel Korea and discuss this issue through another channel. If I need any help, I will contact you again through this discussion. Thank you for support.

0 Kudos