Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
6436 Discussions

DGESV gives different results on subsequent runs

dread__am
Beginner

Hi,

I got a 181x181 system matrix AA and a 181x1 right hand side bb. In my test program (please see attachment) I solve this equation

system twice and I get two slightly different results. Are there any explanations for this ?

The test was carried out on Windows 10 and I used VS 2017 Version 19.13.26131.1  x86.

To compile and link please use:

cl /Fodgesv_test.obj /c dgesv_test.cpp /EHsc /IC:\<path to MKL headers>

link /nologo /OUT:dgesv_test.exe /LIBPATH:C:\<path to MKL libraries> mkl_intel_c.lib mkl_sequential.lib mkl_core.lib dgesv_test.obj

Then simply run dgesv_test.exe.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gennady_F_Intel

That's might be the problem. Please try to set MKL_CBWR= SSE4_2/AVX/AVX2/AVX512 and check if the problem will still exist.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
dread__am
Beginner

I forgot to mention the MKL version in my previous post.

I am using version 2020.0.166

dread__am
Beginner

I forgot to mention the MKL version I am using in my previous post.

I am using MKL version 2020.0.166

mecej4
Black Belt

When I compile for x64 and run, I don't see any differences. The vector diff has all zero valued elements. I changed the program to output diff_sum instead of diff, and I get

Info:0
Difference:0

When I compile for x86, I see

Difference:2.03139e-06

Gennady_F_Intel

That's might be the problem. Please try to set MKL_CBWR= SSE4_2/AVX/AVX2/AVX512 and check if the problem will still exist.

View solution in original post

dread__am
Beginner

Thanks...this helped.

I used

int my_cbwr_branch = mkl_cbwr_get_auto_branch();
if (mkl_cbwr_set(my_cbwr_branch))
{
     printf("Error in setting MKL_CBWR_BRANCH! Aborting…\n”);
     return -1;
}

at the beginning of my program and now diff_sum is zero.

Gennady_F_Intel

CNR model affects performance. if the level of degradation will be significant, please report this case.

dread__am
Beginner

Ok...thanks. As far as I can see there is no performance impact for the cases I am analyzing.