Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6977 Discussions

Difference in behaviour when using a singlecustom MKL DLL vs "normal" linking

AndrewC
New Contributor III

We have a heavily OMP multithreaded tool( Windows/64) that calls MKL 10.3(.11). To avoid "DLL hell" conflicts with other software that can call our code as a DLL ( e.g. matlab) we used the mkl/tools/builder makefiles to create a single/custom MKL DLL/.lib that we link against.

I have been trying to debug a 100% reproducible nasty crash on crtexit ( i.e. after exit(0) has been called). The stack stops with an access violation in the Windows API "HeapFree" called by the MKL DLL. I ran Inspector XE memory check to diagnose this, and could not find any issues.

Yet, I found that if OMP_NUM_THREADS=1, the problem goes away.

Now one would normally blame some nasty threading bug in my code for this, but I used Inspector XE thread check on "max" , but could not find any issue that would be trashing things.

As a last resort, I stopped using our"custom" MKL DLL, and linked against the regular MKL DLLs (mkl_core etc) and the problem disappeared.
Can anyone think why using a single custom DLL vs using the regular MKL DLL's would show different behaviour? It seems to be related to multi-threading in some way.

The build line for creating the custom DLL was....
nmake em64t buf_lib= - export=functions_list manifest=embed name=custom_mkl_em64t

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewC
New Contributor III
Interestingly, switching back to the version of our custom DLL built from MKL 10.2.6 resolved the issue as well, so this issue seems to have come from changes in 10.3.

I have a wild guess ... on Windows DLL's can do things on DLL_ATTACH and DLL_DETACH when they are loaded and unloaded. Perhaps some of the MKL DLL's allocate/deallocate at these times. Of course, with a custom DLL all this behaviour is lost.
0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III
I have to retract the statement that switching back to 10.2.6 based custom DLL fixed the issue. It reduced the frequency of the issue, but did not eliminate it.
I have been running >1000 QA tests on a variety of input files and so far the only solution seems to be to switch from the one monolithic custom MKL DLL back to the "as-shipped" MKL DLLs.
0 Kudos
Andrey_G_Intel2
Employee
Hello!
could you provide list of used MKL functions?
Andrey
0 Kudos