Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Diving in

ionbeza
Beginner
Hi.

I would like to acquire data from a TI ADS1278 converter and display:

a.)time domain

and

b.) frequency domain (FFTs).

My questions are:

1.)is

DftiComputeForward( DFTI_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE, void*, ... );

good for FFTs, and if yes, what does one buy, Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition for Windows-Intel Math Kernel Library at $599 or Intel Math Kernel Library for Windows at $399?

2.) is a 30-day evaluation available before buying it?

3.) DftiComputeForward might do the FFT, but who does the graphical display?

4.) who does the time domain, the display of the sine wave?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Ion A. Beza.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee
Hi Ion,

1) DFTI is good for FFTs. Intel MKL also provides FFTW3 interface.
What one buys depends on goals. If you are sure the perfromance critical part of your application is FFT then MKL may bejust right choice.Intel C++ Compiler ProfessionalEdition may give additional boost to the algorithms coded in you sources, which may be essential for C++ code.Please refer to Intel Software Development Products page for more information.

2) Yes, 30-day evaluation versions are available

3 and 4) For GUI programming, such as displaying graphical information let me refer you to Qt library.

Thanks
Dima
0 Kudos
ionbeza
Beginner
Thank you Dima for the quick and clear reply.

Ion A. Beza.
0 Kudos
ionbeza
Beginner
I would like to follow up with someone please on my inquiry that I had made in my first post.

Let me say that I would like to evaluate FFT done by the function DftiComputeForward(...) from the Intel Math Kernel Library for Windows at $399.

The function would return 0 for success or non-zero for failure.

The FFT in theory returns something else, i.e. a sine wave of frequency f is input and the FFT obtains the Dirac function, andon the x axis of frequency domain the Dirac function is centered at the central frequency f.

A way to evaluate the DftiComputeForward(...) would be to visualize the frequency domain.

A way to display the frequency domain with graphs would be with functions from the QT library:

http://qt.nokia.com/

(another way would be with graphs drawn in Python)

My question is:

what functions from the QT library would do the FFT (and time domain too) display?

I don't seem to find the answer easily.

Unless there is another way to test FFT by DftiComputeForward(...), this is my question.

Please let me know if possible.

Thank you.

Ion A. Beza.
0 Kudos
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee
Hi Ion,

There are many ways to test DftiComputeForward(), few of them require Qt. Possibly the simplest one is to print the data into a file, and then visuzliseit using your favourite plotting tool, such as Microsoft Excel or gnuplot.

If you want to visualise it in your application, then you should program the visualization yourself, and Qt would be a nice tool for that, because it was designed to write portable Graphical User Interfaces efficiently. Please refer to Qt documentation/forums about how to do this.

Of course there must be other tools around that would help you to build a GUI to monitoryour converter, just google. However, MKL is the right choice to do the FFT.

Thanks
Dima
0 Kudos