Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

FFTW wisdom import support concrete question. Probably someone form Intel needed to answer.

Kazik
Beginner

Hello,

very concrete question:
Does FFTW3 wrapper library, which is described here:
http://www.intel.com/software/products/mkl/docs/fftw3xmkl_notes.htm ,
support wisdom mechanism? In particular, any of these functions:
int fftw_import_system_wisdom(...)
int fftw_import_wisdom_from_file(...)
int fftw_import_wisdom_from_string(...)
int fftw_import_wisdom(...)
???
In principle, in the documentation in the link I've pasted above it's written that the wrapper library does not support these functions ("All wrappers are empty and do nothing"). However, in my program, I get always 1 as a result of these functions, which should mean that the import of wisdom has succeeded (documentation out of date?). On the other hand, timings of the programs' execution may suggest that the import of wisdom has "failed".

I would be really grateful for a clear explanation of the issue.
--
Kind regards,
Kazik

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Kazik,

The fftw import wisdomfunctions are all empty, as you can see in mk/interfaces/fftw3xc. Each of the functionswould always return 0, meaning the import operation was NOT SUCCESSFUL.This interpretation may disagree with expectation of particularapplication, but it should trigger exception processing branch of the user application, whichisarguably preferred interpretation.

Thanks
Dima
0 Kudos
Kazik
Beginner

Hi Kazik,

The fftw import wisdomfunctions are all empty, as you can see in mk/interfaces/fftw3xc. Each of the functionswould always return 0, meaning the import operation was NOT SUCCESSFUL.This interpretation may disagree with expectation of particularapplication, but it should trigger exception processing branch of the user application, whichisarguably preferred interpretation.

Thanks
Dima

Thank you Dima for your quick reply.
Still, I feel that such "advanced" compilers as these provided by Intel should definitely support wisdom mechanism. It's one of the biggest advantages of FFTW.
--
Kind regards,
Kazik
0 Kudos
crakarjax
Beginner
The lack of FFTW wisdom import/export is very disappointing. Is there reasoning behind this?
0 Kudos
crakarjax
Beginner
The lack of FFTW wisdom import/export is very disappointing. Is there reasoning behind this?
0 Kudos
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee
MKL does not do run-time adaptation, so it has no data that the import/export functions are supposed to operate with.
0 Kudos