Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

How to link cluster fft under windows

deniz_v_
Beginner

I have been trying to compile and run my cluster fft code which contains mpi. I have been successful in single core mkl fft with this command

ifort /Qmkl "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\mkl\include\mkl_dfti.f90" fft_single.f90

But when it comes to cluster fft,below fails to link

mpif90 /Qmkl "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\mkl\include\mkl_cdft.f90" fft_mpi.f90

It gives me : There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference DFTICREATEDESCRIPTORDM. I also noticed that when i give these functions a wrong handle or parameter, it gives exactly the same error (for ifort). Error algorithm cannot make a difference between a wrongly written function name and wrongly given parameter in it.

So how can i compile/link cluster fft scripts. Is there a problem in linking or is there a problem in coding? A give a very basic script below, it should be able to at least compile and link this

program main
use mpi
Use MKL_CDFT

complex(8), allocatable :: A(:)

integer :: len(2),ierr,id,numprocs
type(DFTI_DESCRIPTOR), POINTER :: FFT

call MPI_INIT(ierr)
call MPI_COMM_SIZE(MPI_COMM_WORLD,numprocs,ierr)
call MPI_COMM_RANK(MPI_COMM_WORLD,id,ierr)

len(1)=4; len(2)=4

status = DftiCreateDescriptorDM(MPI_COMM_WORLD,FFT,DFTI_DOUBLE,DFTI_COMPLEX,2,len)
call mpi_finalize(ierr)

end program main

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I'm not familiar with that function. The message indicates a discrepancy between the function arguments you provided and those required according to MKL_CDFT. Discrepancy could be in number of arguments, type, or rank.
0 Kudos
deniz_v_
Beginner
I tried couple of things, i tried linking another libraries, i tried adding another "use - include" packages, all leads to same result. If i understand correctly you say there is something wrong in code? I should alter the code in order to be able to compile? Is it a compilation error? I use "use mkl_dfti" header when i write it for single core (ifort). I use " use mkl_cdft" header for multi-core( cluster or mpi). And i link correspondent source code for these. There is more than 1 function (DftiCreateDescriptorDM). These are pack of functions for fft calculations. I wrote first of them to keep it simple. Interestingly the script above works. When i comply it with ifort for single core. Ofcourse i had to remove mpi calls and i had to change DftiCreateDescriptorDM to DftiCreateDescriptor. I looked at the C examples of cluster fft and it looks like i'm doing it right. My guess is, i fail to link it with proper package. Any help is appreciated, i'm experienced in fortran and mpi but im very new in intel mkl packages.
0 Kudos
Evarist_F_Intel
Employee
Hi, Deniz! The problem is that /Qmkl doesn't include MKL cluster libraries where DftiCommitDescriptorDM is implemented. Did you tried to link with /Qmkl:cluster option as it's written in here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-mkl-in-intel-compiler-mkl-qmkl-options or http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/2013/composerxe/compiler/cpp-mac/GUID-F0B0FBC0-4AEA-4DEC-960C-C37B390BD0B5.htm. If this doesn't help, please try to set libraries for linker explicitly. I should be something like: mpif90 ... /LIBPATH:$(MKL_LIB_PATH) $(MKL_LIBS) where (e.g.) $(MKL_LIB_PATH) = C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\mkl\lib\intel64 $(MKL_LIBS) = mkl_cdft_core.lib mkl_intel_ilp64.lib mkl_intel_thread.lib mkl_core.lib mkl_blacs_intelmpi_ilp64.lib -Qopenmp Also please find some additional info here: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/mkl/mkl_userguide_lnx/GUID-75CABA2D-272A-4E55-BE10-30D8EF592752.htm
0 Kudos
barragan_villanueva_
Valued Contributor I
Hi, To link with cluster MKL it needs to use /Qmkl:cluster option. Please try also MKL link Advisor http://software.intel.com/sites/products/mkl/ to specify explicitly MKL libraries in command line
0 Kudos
deniz_v_
Beginner
Thank you Victor Pasko Adding /Qmkl:cluster option did the trick. So working command is now mpif90 /Qmkl:cluster "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\mkl\include\mkl_cdft.f90" fft_cluster.f90 I also added the working final code for this. For people who learns by examples. I hardly find any fortran example for mkl. It's a simple fft for 2 dimensional matrix. I compared the results to Matlab's fftn function and its working (same) for my 4 core PC. Feel free to modify :D
0 Kudos
deniz_v_
Beginner
This is the file
0 Kudos