Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Increase in .exe file size from version 16.3 to 18.3 due to IMKL

Lars_Jakobsen
Beginner

Hi

I originally posted this in the Intel visual fortran compiler for windows forum, but was redirected here (sorry for the double post).

We have seen an increase in the file size of an executable of almost a factor of two (from 18Mb to 36Mb), when changing from the intel visual fortran compiler version 16.3 to 18.3.

My suspicion is the embedded library IMKL library. We include the MKL library but try to limit it to only the double precision versions by this:

USE MKL_DFTI, FORGET=>DFTI_SINGLE, DFTI_SINGLE=>DFTI_SINGLE_R

As recommended in the documentation.

When compiling with 16.3 the size is 18.8Mb/31.6Mb (with/without the FORGET part).

When compiling with 18.3 the size is 36.0Mb/38.4Mb (with/without the FORGET part). 

Is this expected behavior?

Brgds

Lars

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

Hi Lars, Are you taking about statically linked code? Do you use only fft routines? Actually we add  some new IA optimizations to the each of the next version MKL and this may affect to the code size but we actually didn't check this problem.

0 Kudos
Lars_Jakobsen
Beginner

Hi Gennady, Yes it is statically linked and we only use fft:

Brgds

Lars

Brgds

Lars

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

yes, I check the case on my side( win64, static linking, only double-precision complex-to-complex in-place 1D routine) and see 18 and 28 Mb executable size correspondingly with MKL 11.3.3 and the MKL 2019.1.  We need to check with FFT experts the reason of this problem.

0 Kudos