Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Install Problems

Darren_Rhodes
Beginner
I appreciate that this is most probably a trivial question for the majority of readers around here but nevertheless, I'm hoping that you'll be able to help.

I've downloaded the ' Intel Math Kernel Library for Linux* ' on my ubuntu 11.04 32 bit laptop.

I unpacked and changed to directory l_mkl_10.3.7.256 where I typed sudo ./intall.sh

I typed in my sudo pw and received the following response

' ./install.sh: line 357: 2767 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$strings_log_file --string_ids="$strings_list" --__get_string__=$strings_file --LANG=$user_lang
./install.sh: line 358: /tmp/intel.pset.strings.root.ubuntu: No such file or directory
./install.sh: line 516: 2773 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$log_file $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --PACKAGE_DIR=$fullpath '

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can progress with the install?

(If anyone is interested, I'm hoping to use the package to complement the GAMESS software package in order to do some molecular modelling).

In anticipation, thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Nikolay_L_Intel
Employee
Hello,
Could you try to start install.sh w/o sudo?
It should provide an embeddedability to call sudo.

If it does not help please reply here, I'll try to figure out another workaround. I have subscribed for this topic.

Thank you,
- Nikolay
0 Kudos
Darren_Rhodes
Beginner
Hi Nikolay

I opened the terminal,

changed directory to l_mkl_10.3.7.256

and typed in ./install.sh after pressing return I got the following,

' ./install.sh: line 357: 2135 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$strings_log_file --string_ids="$strings_list" --__get_string__=$strings_file --LANG=$user_lang
./install.sh: line 358: /tmp/intel.pset.strings.pcs05.ubuntu: No such file or directory '

and the system appeared to hang. After a couple of minutes I pressed return; nothing happened, so I pressed return again and saw

' Password: '

I wasn't sure whether this meant my Intel registration code or my sudo (su) pw. I entered the Intel code and saw

' su: Authentication failure'

I pressed return twice and ' Password: ' came up again. This time I typed in my sudo password (the only one I have for the system) and I got

' su: Authentication failure'

again. And again, the system appeared to hang.

Any help is appreciated, thanks Nikolai.

Darren
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The Password request should come up only if you start without first requesting root privilege. Hence the suggestion you were already given of starting out with sudo, the latter probably being more reliable for Ubuntu.
0 Kudos
Darren_Rhodes
Beginner
Hi TimP

With sudo ...

" pcs05@ubuntu:~/l_mkl_10.3.7.256$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] password for pcs05:
./install.sh: line 357: 2371 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$strings_log_file --string_ids="$strings_list" --__get_string__=$strings_file --LANG=$user_lang
./install.sh: line 358: /tmp/intel.pset.strings.root.ubuntu: No such file or directory
./install.sh: line 516: 2377 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$log_file $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --PACKAGE_DIR=$fullpath "

My quotation marks.

I read Nikolai's instructions as ... ' don't use sudo '

What am I missing?

Darren.

0 Kudos
Nikolay_L_Intel
Employee
HelloDarren,

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce problem onmytestubuntu 11.04_86, so I can't detect an exact root cause..

One more idea, it can be related to /tmp folder that is used for internal needs.
Could you kindly check:
1) /tmp folderexists on your system;
2) your active account has read-write access to /tmp folder;

If everything is OK, please invoke install.sh. Incorrect case it should provide a menu like:

=========================================
Please make your selection by entering an option.
Root access is recommended for evaluation.

1. Install as a root for system wide access for all users [default]
2. Install to root for system wide access for all users using sudo
privileges and password
3. Install as current user to limit access to user level

h. Help
q. Quit

Please type a selection [1]:
=========================================

Thank you,
- Nikolay

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
"don't use sudo" could mean, instead of using sudo as you did, do "sudo su -" as has often been necessary on Ubuntu, then run install.sh.
0 Kudos
Darren_Rhodes
Beginner
Hi Nikolay

Yes, /tmp exists on my laptop; it has the following permissions

drwxrwxrwt 13 root root 4096 2012-01-31 20:41 tmp

Darren.
0 Kudos
Darren_Rhodes
Beginner
Hi TimP

Thanks for taking the time to clarify your last suggestion.

I did as you suggested but got the following

" root@ubuntu:/home/pcs05/l_mkl_10.3.7.256# ./install.sh
./install.sh: line 357: 1969 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$strings_log_file --string_ids="$strings_list" --__get_string__=$strings_file --LANG=$user_lang
./install.sh: line 516: 1975 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$log_file $silent_params $duplicate_params $params --PACKAGE_DIR=$fullpath "

Darren.
0 Kudos
Darren_Rhodes
Beginner
And here's what happened when I tried to invoke install.sh

" pcs05@ubuntu:~/l_mkl_10.3.7.256$ ./install.sh
./install.sh: line 357: 2085 Illegal instruction $pset_engine_binary --tmp-dir=$user_tmp --log-file=$strings_log_file --string_ids="$strings_list" --__get_string__=$strings_file --LANG=$user_lang
./install.sh: line 358: /tmp/intel.pset.strings.pcs05.ubuntu: No such file or directory

"

Darren.
0 Kudos
Nikolay_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Darren,

Could kindly start install.sh in bash verbose mode and send the text to me?
bash -x ./install.sh

Thank you,
- Nikolay
0 Kudos