Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
7038 Discussions

MKL FATAL ERROR VML on Opeteron in MKL 9.0

Ben_H_
Beginner
I have a customer who is running our software on an AMD Opteron 240 running Windows XP. He is getting this error message during the run:

MKL FATAL ERROR: Cannot load neither mkl_vml_p3.dll nor MKL FATAL ERROR: Cannot load mkl_vml_def.dll neither mkl_vml_def.dll.

Both of these files (mkl_vml_def.dll and mkl_vml_p3.dll) are in the same directory as the executable so that is not the problem. This works fine on other machines with other processors. Any ideas?

Ben
0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
check permissions
0 Kudos
Ben_H_
Beginner
What permissions? This is a windows box and the executable is in the same folder as the dlls.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Ben,

Does your customers system have two copies of the same named program (that is you sent them an update)? If so then the customer may be running the older copy from a different directory in PATH.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Ben_H_
Beginner
Jim,

No, they only have one copy of that program and moreover we have been manually running it from a Command Prompt window to avoid this possibility.

Ben
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Ben,

I am sitting in engineering review meetings right now with the MKL developer in Russia. Between presentations I have been thinking about this issue and here is what I think. First of all, there is nothing in MKL that should be causing this problem, since MKL is obviously trying to load certain DLLs.

Do you have a similar system at your site to run your software? Does it work? My guess is that it does. That means there are only a small number of possibilities for the cause of this issue. The first is whether these dlls are present. You say they both are. The second concerns the path. I would assume that it includes the local directory, but might not.

A simple test would be to build one of the MKL VML example codes and linking in mkl_c_dll.lib and libguide40.lib, which will need the dll at run time. If this works, the application should work, and vice versa.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Ben_H_
Beginner
Bruce,

I'll look into building another program that uses the VML.

I don't have an Opteron System here running Windows (I do have one running LINUX that I may be able to add Windows to). The PATH issue crossed my mind too and so I had the user explicitly add the location of our executable and the MKL dlls to the PATH and it did not help.

Thanks.
Ben
0 Kudos
Ben_H_
Beginner
Found the problem. They were missing the MSVCR71.DLL. This file is apparently needed on Opteron systems, but not elsewhere...???
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Maybe so, if only an Opteron machine could have a total absence of other applications which depend on Microsoft run-time library. No MS browser or e-mail?
0 Kudos
Ben_H_
Beginner
No. I installed a fresh version of XP 32 bit with SP2 on one of our Opteron systems and had the same problem. Putting that dll there takes care of it...
0 Kudos
Andrey_G_Intel2
Employee
In newer versions of MKL this DLL included to library package.
0 Kudos