Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Compatibility?

Matt2
Beginner

Hi,

Is MSVS2012 a supported environment for MKL 11.0 update 5?  I am trying to get MKL 11.0 update 5 working with Visual Studio 2012.  To get my environment variables setup, I have followed the setup instructions here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-110-getting-started/#Environment

and I started following the instructions here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-intel-mkl-compiling-and-linking-with-microsoft-visual-cc

However, when I right click on a C++ project in visual studio 2012, I do not have the "Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 -> Select Build Components" options.  MSVS2012 does have the option "HELP -> Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 -> Intel C++ Composer XE Help", but I cannot find any of the select build components options that the tutorials use.  Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Is MSVS2012 a supported environment for MKL 11.0 update 5? I am trying to get MKL 11.0 update 5 working >>with Visual Studio 2012... What Edition of Visual Studio 2012 do you use? Professional, Standard or Express?
0 Kudos
Matt2
Beginner

Professional.  See attached image for version information and all the installed plugins.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Just in case, if the Microsoft C++ wasn't available when you installed Intel C++, you will need to repeat the latter installation, including the MKL option.

0 Kudos
Matt2
Beginner

Microsoft C++ was installed when I installed Intel C++.  I was building M$ C++ projects prior to the Intel MKL install.

0 Kudos
Zhang_Z_Intel
Employee

I'll double-check with the MKL engineering team. But according to the online document "Intel MKL 11.0 System Requirements" (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-110-system-requirements/), MS Visual Studio 2012 is not on the list:

Supported C/C++ and Fortran compilers for Windows*:

• Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 for Windows* OS
  • Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler 13.0 for Windows* OS
  • Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler 13.1 for Windows* OS
  • Intel® C++ Composer XE 2013 for Windows* OS
  • Intel® C++ Compiler 13.0 for Windows* OS
  • Intel® C++ Compiler 13.1 for Windows* OS
  • Microsoft Visual Studio* 2011 - help file and environment integration
  • Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010 - help file and environment integration
  • Microsoft Visual Studio* 2008 - help file and environment integration
  • Microsoft Visual Studio* 2005 Team Suite Edition - help file and environment integration
  • Microsoft Windows* SDK for Windows* 7 (Intel® 64)
  • Microsoft Windows* Software Development Kit Update for Windows Vista* (Intel® 64)
  • Microsoft Windows Server* 2003 R2 Platform SDK (Intel® 64)
  • Microsoft Windows* Software Development Kit for Windows Server* 2008
  • PGI* Workstation Complete version 12.5

0 Kudos
Matt2
Beginner

Is Visual Studio 2010 Express edition supported?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Is Visual Studio 2010 Express edition supported? Yes, but only command line integration. Please take a look at Release Notes for Intel C++ compiler ( v12.x or 13.x any Update ).
0 Kudos
Matt2
Beginner

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the different products here.  Zhang Z. posted that Intel MKL does not have MSVS2012 listed as a supported product.  However, Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 has MSVS2012 "standard edition or higher" listed as a supported product:

http://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/article/251095/release-notes-c-2013-w-en.pdf

and on the main page for the C++ composer, it is stated that Intel MKL 11.0 is included with C++.  If I install c++ composer xe 2013, will I be able to use version 11.0 of MKL with VS2012 integration?

Cheers,Matt

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Matt, I see that there is some confusion regarding integration of Intel software ( I mean UI and command line integrations ). >>...Zhang Z. posted that Intel MKL does not have MSVS2012 listed as a supported product... Take into account that VS 2012 ( any Edition ) is Integrated Development Environment ( IDE ) and MKL is the library and it could be used with many C++ compilers including legacy, like Borland C++. Now, for example, I have Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 ( ICC XE 2012 ) installed on Windows 7 operating system and VS 2012 Express Edition ( EE ). ICC XE 2012 is only command line integrated with VS 2012 EE and there are No any menu items, or dialog boxes related to MKL. >>...I'll double-check with the MKL engineering team. But according to the online document >>"Intel MKL 11.0 System Requirements" (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-110-system-requirements/), >>MS Visual Studio 2012 is not on the list... I think it was missed in Release Notes for MKL. Many software companies are using VS 2012 as a major tool for the development and I don't see any reasons why VS 2012 ( SE, PE, UE ) shouldn't be supported. ( SE - Standard Edition / PE - Professional Edition / UE - Ultimate Edition ) The way I've installed Microsoft and Intel software is as follows: 1. Installed Microsoft software 2. Installed Microsoft Updates ( from Microsoft Windows Updates ) 3. Installed Intel software ( Initial Releases, for example ) 4. Installed Intel Updates ( from Intel Software Registration Center ) Note: I didn't try to install more than two versions of Intel C++ Compiler on the same computer. For example, in my case ICC v12.x is installed on Windows XP ( 32-bit development only ) and ICC v13.x is installed on Windows 7 ( 32-bit and 64-bit development ).
0 Kudos
Zhang_Z_Intel
Employee

Matt,

The MKL engineering team has confirmed that VS 2012 is indeed supported by MKL 11.0. The product validation was actually done using VS 2012 on Windows platforms. It's a mistake of the Release Notes that it doesn't list VS 2012. We will get it fixed.

To use Intel C++ Composer XE (including MKL) with VS 2012, please first try to start VS 2012 by choosing Start Menue -> Programs -> Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 -> Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 with VS 2012. Then, once you open your solution and right-click your project, you will be able to see the "Intel Composer XE 2013" option.

0 Kudos
Matt2
Beginner

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what fixed it (I uninstalled the MKL and used Composer Intel64 instead, as well as restarting everything a few times), but now the GUI has the Intel compiler listed as an option when right-clicking on a c++ project.

Thank you for all the help!  I've already got code that calls the MKL convolver and the fft code, your documentation has been a huge boon.  I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos