Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Missing Optional Prerequisite(s)

Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

I want to install MKL. Here is the download page I followed. The name of the tar I downloaded is "parallel_studio_xe_2015_update3". As a matter of fact I have completed my registration of Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++ Linux* for student-use only.

When running the install script, i.e."./install.sh", which I saw from these instructions, I got this:

Step 1 of 7 | Prerequisites > Missing Optional Prerequisite(s)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are one or more optional unresolved issues. It is highly recommended to
resolve them all before you continue the installation. You can fix them without
exiting from the installation and re-check. Or you can quit from the
installation, fix them and run the installation again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing optional prerequisites
-- Intel(R) MPI Library, Development Kit 5.0 Update 3 for Linux* OS: Unsupported
OS
-- Intel(R) Trace Analyzer and Collector 9.0 Update 3 for Linux* OS: Unsupported
OS
-- Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 Update 3: Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Inspector XE 2015 Update 1: Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Advisor XE 2015 Update 1: Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 3 Composer Edition for C++ Linux*:
Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 3 Composer Edition for Fortran
Linux*: Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 3 Composer Edition for Linux*:
Unsupported OS
-- System wide Hardware Event-based Sampling (EBS) analysis is not available on
the system.

I am in an unknown for me computer, which runs on Debian 8, so I have no clue what is installed and what is not. However, I would like to do whatever I have to do, in order to get the most important (if not all) the prerequisites. I can provide information on what the system has, etc., but I need quidance. I am also a sudoer if that matters.

I am a student and thus the produce is for student use only. However, this is my first time using a developer tool from Intel, so I badly need your help. My goal is to use ScaLAPACK with MKL.

If there is nothing I can do, this means I should find another machine or I am still OK to go for my purspose?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is a good chance that you have a working installation, particularly if you had a functioning installation of gcc prior to installing MKL and Intel-C.

To see if this is the case, open a shell window, source the compiler start-up script ("source <path_to_compiler>iccvars.sh intel64") and try running the C compiler ("icc -v").

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

As I mentioned before, I only downloaded "parallel_studio_xe_2015_update3" and installed it by executing "./install.sh". That's all. Now I want to first check if the installation was successful and then use ScaLAPACK through MKL.

I haven't downloaded anything else, but I am willing to do so, if needed. I just need guidance, or/and a nice tutorial like the: Inter Parallel Studio XE 2015 Professional Edition for Installation Guide and Release Notes, which helped me install MKL. Please help me, because the field is too broad and I do not what to do, since this is my first time using an Intel Developer tool.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Georgious, 

first of all please check if ScaLapack's components are exist into your install directory. Do you see such components like the follow: libmkl_scalapack_ilp64.a libmkl_scalapack_ilp64.so libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a libmkl_scalapack_lp64.so .....?

The problem is that these components don't installed by the default into your system. You need to choose the Custom option while installation and choose these components.

second - please look at the MKL linker Adviser ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor/ ) to see how to link application with ScaLapack's function.

--Gennady

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Hi Gennady,

in post #14 you can see how my installation looks like, so probably no, I haven't what you said. So, I executed "./uninstall.sh". Now I am trying to install MKL again with custom settings. However, I can not seem to able to locate ScaLAPACK. Here is what I see:

Step 5 of 7 | Options > Pre-install Summary
Install location:
    /home/gsamaras/intel

Component(s) selected:
    Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 Update 3                          759MB
        Command line interface                                                  
        Sampling Driver kit                                                     
        Graphical user interface                                                

Intel(R) Inspector XE 2015 Update 1                                    299MB
        Command line interface                                                  
        Graphical user interface                                                

Intel(R) Advisor XE 2015 Update 1                                      432MB
        Command line interface                                                  
        Graphical user interface                                                

Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE 15.0 Update 3                                 265MB
        Intel C++ Compiler XE                                                   

Intel(R) Math Kernel Library 11.2 Update 3                             653MB
        Intel MKL core libraries                                                
        Fortran 95 interfaces for BLAS and LAPACK                               
        GNU* Compiler Collection support                                        
        Cluster support                                                         

Intel(R) Integrated Performance Primitives 8.2 Update 2               1003MB
        Intel IPP single-threaded libraries: General package                    

Intel(R) Threading Building Blocks 4.3 Update 5                         85MB
        Intel TBB                                                               

GNU* GDB 7.8                                                           146MB
        GNU* GDB 7.8 on Intel(R) 64 (Provided under GNU General Public License  
v3)

Install Space Required:     3.7GB

Driver parameters:
    Sampling driver install type: Driver kit files will be installed only
    Drivers will be accessible to everyone on this system. To restrict access,
        select Customize Installation > Change advanced options > Driver is
accessible to
        and set group access.

When I selecting customization, it only asked me for the architecture of my system, nothing else, but this:

1. Finish component selection [default]

2. Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 Update 3 [All]
3. Intel(R) Inspector XE 2015 Update 1 [All]
4. Intel(R) Advisor XE 2015 Update 1 [All]
5. Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE 15.0 Update 3 [Custom]
6. Intel(R) Math Kernel Library 11.2 Update 3 [Custom]
7. Intel(R) Integrated Performance Primitives 8.2 Update 2 [Custom]
8. Intel(R) Threading Building Blocks 4.3 Update 5 [All]
9. GNU* GDB 7.8 [Custom]

So, what should I do?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

ScaLAPACK is a (small) part of MKL. You cannot install it separately. If you install MKL, you get ScaLAPACK. Whether the MKL libraries will or not work with some other compiler depends on the nature of that compiler, and you need to consider the availability of support for using MKL with that compiler before deciding to use that compiler in your work.

You can, if you wish to use a non-Intel compiler, download the source code of ScaLAPACK and build it yourself: see http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/scalapack_home.html . 

Since ScaLAPACK is a small part of MKL, even regular users of MKL may not have used ScaLAPACK. It is also an older package (1996, with some updates in 2007), so it is possible that the needs that it filled are better satisfied with another newer package.

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

That's what I thought too mecej4, but I looked for the components Gennady mentioned and couldn't find them, something that is irrelevant from the compiler that will be used. I am OK in using Intel's compiler, so the now the two main questions are:

1. How to make sure MKL+ScaLAPACK are ready? Install again with default settings?
  2. Which compiler of Intel (and from where) should I download to eventually be able to run an example and then MKL+ScaLAPACK?

PS - Sorry for keep asking, but I really want to use MKL+ScaLAPACK, but I am really stuck. :/

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The Parallel Studio installer lets you install the Fortran and C/C++ compilers, and the performance libraries (MKL, IPP, etc.) for IA32 and Intel64/AMD64 architectures. The installer lets you choose which components to install. From what you have written in this thread, I gather that you have all the components needed, but some of them may reside only in the installation package. In other words, there is no need for you do download anything at this point. Run the install.sh script, choose the programming language of your choice (or both) and MKL, and install. In the list that you gave in #24, Items 2,3,4,7 and 8 are not needed if all you want to do is to build and run applications in C or Fortran that need MKL.

If you have a malfunctioning installation, you may need to uninstall the parts that have been installed before attempting to reinstall into the same directory, or you may choose to install into a new location and later delete the old incomplete installation..

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

The product is: Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++ Linux*

This is what got installed:

Installing Command line interface component... done
Installing Sampling Driver kit component... done
Installing Graphical user interface component... done
Installing Intel C++ Compiler XE for IA-32 component... done
Installing Intel C++ Compiler XE for Intel(R) 64 component... done
Installing Intel MKL core libraries for Intel(R) 64 component... done
Installing Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor support component... done
Installing Fortran 95 interfaces for BLAS and LAPACK for Intel(R) 64
component... done
Installing GNU* Compiler Collection support for Intel(R) 64 component... done
Installing Cluster support for Intel(R) 64 component... done
Installing Intel MKL core libraries for IA-32 component... done
Installing Fortran 95 interfaces for BLAS and LAPACK for IA-32 component... done
Installing GNU* Compiler Collection support for IA-32 component... done
Installing Cluster support for IA-32 component... done
Installing Intel IPP single-threaded libraries for IA-32: General package
component... done
Installing Intel IPP single-threaded libraries for Intel(R) 64: General package 
component... done
Installing Intel TBB component... done
Installing GNU* GDB 7.8 on Intel(R) 64 (Provided under GNU General Public
License v3) component... done
Installing GDB Eclipse* Integration on Intel(R) 64 (Provided under Eclipse
Public License v.1.0) component... done
Finalizing product configuration...
Preparing driver configuration scripts... done

I will try to run an example and report back.

---

EDIT

I followed this tutorial and I managed to compile and run the example provided there (the directory the tutorial specifies does not exist). I compiled like this: icc -v -mkl px.c (do I really need the v flag? If so, what does it do?)

Now, I would like to find a ScaLAPACK example. Do you know any? Either in a tutorial or in the installation directory.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

-v stands for "verbose", and you don't need it.

There are several Fortran examples at http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/examples/ . I don't know if there are C examples somewhere.

Make sure to use the MKL Link Line Advisor in building the examples.

0 Kudos
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

This post is now too broad, because of me. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Intel_C_12
Beginner

Hi all,

I am a PhD student and I must use the Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler from Parallel Studio XE 2016 update 1, 

When I am installing Parallel Studio_XE_2016_Update1, I get the "missing optional prerequisites unsupported OS", then I checked my Centos linux installation with VirtualBox, my Centos Linux is CentOS_6.3.

Please help me, because I am not any experience to do, since this is my first time using an Intel Developer tool.

Thanks a lot in advance

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It's normal for CentOS to produce that message, indicating that Intel didn't test specifically on CentOS, although it should work due to similarity to RHEL.  You must simply proceed with the installation, agreeing to the option of unsupported installation. 

Note that there have been 2 subsequent bug fix updates.  They won't change that message, but you should consider an up to date version before filing bug reports.

0 Kudos