Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Missing symbols in mkl_scalapack_lp_dll.lib

akiladila
Beginner
Hello All,

I am trying to dynamically link against mkl_scalapack_lp64.dll. When I build my application linking against the static mkl_scalapack_lp64.lib everything compiles fine.

However, when I link against the dynamic library mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib, receive a link error saying that the following symbols cannot be found:

PCGEMR2D
PDGEMR2D
PSGEMR2D
PZGEMR2D

When I perform a dumpbin /ALL mkl_scalapack_lp64.lib I see:
[lots of symbols]
6B PCGEMR2D
[more symbols]
5D PDGEMR2D

However, when I perform a dumpbin /ALL on mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib, I cannot find these symbols, likewise I cannot find them in mkl_scalapack_lp64.dll.

Being an industrious middle-aged developer I decided to use the MKL DLL Builder Tool. I copied the files in $(MKLROOT)\\tools\\builder to a directory C:\\mylibs\\scalapack_build. I created a scalapack_cdecl_list file by perfroming a dumpin /EXPORTS on mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib. I cleaned up my scalapack_cdecl_list file to look like the other *_cdecl_list files in the directory...(thank you emacs) and then I add the symbols that I was trying to use in mkl_scalapack_lp64.lib that were unresolved when I linked against mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib.

NOTE: It was also necessary to remove $(buf_lib) from the link line as Visual Studio 2008 no longer distributes as part of the SDK.
I then executed the command:
nmake em64t interface=lp64 export=scalapack_cdecl_list name=mkl_scalapack_lp64 MKLROOT="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\Compiler\\11.1\\054"\\mkl
and received lots of link errors...
next I tried to add mkl_scalapack_lp64.lib to the link line and this to failed.

Alas I have come to the place where MKL Gurus far smarter than I skulk the murky depths of the Internet in an attempt to shed some light on this problem...

Here is what I would like to know:
1. Are the unresolved symbols that cause link errors when I link against mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib a known issue?
2. Is there a way to work around my problem using the builder? And if so what other library/libraries do I need to link against?
Regards
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Try using the MKL link advisor http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor/ . Please break up your posts into paragraphs to make them easier to read.
0 Kudos
akiladila
Beginner
Hello mecej4,

As for the formating blech! There must be something wrong with my browser or the auto formator for this textbox.

Anyway, the first thing I did was try the link-line-advisor...it has saved me in the past, however the link line that it gives me is:
mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib mkl_solver_lp64.lib mkl_intel_lp64_dll.lib mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib mkl_core_dll.lib mkl_blacs_lp64_dll.lib -Qopenmp

Unfortunately, I don' t think the problem is with the link line itself, but with the symbols that are missing from the mkl_scalapack_lp64_dll.lib, because I can compile an application that uses the mkl_scalapack_lp64.dll, that does not reference these symbols, using the link line given by the link-line advisor.

Regards,

Aquil H. Abdullah
0 Kudos