Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Number of licenses required for MKL?

Adrienne_S_
Beginner

We're trying to determine how many MKL licenses are required for our system setup. We would only be using MKL through R, so after R is built with MKL, I don't think we would not be directly calling MKL routines. R can create a shared library (libR.so) that links to the MKL .so files.

We have three different systems, each with their own local build of R. Only one person compiles and installs R on the three different systems, and the resulting installations of R are used by ~20 people. My understanding is that we would need 1 single-user license for each system, since only one person would install R+MKL. However, one of these systems is actually a cluster with ~1000 nodes. Is 1 license sufficient for the cluster, assuming some of the 20 users are running multiple instances of R on the cluster nodes, if the R installation is built with MKL by one user?

Finally, some R packages have components that need to be compiled when they're installed. Do we need additional licenses for each user that installs R packages?

Thanks,

Adrienne

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you need an authoritative answer more quickly you might ask on the companion registration and licensing forum. Possibilities might include a license for each development platform. If using mkl supplied with a compiler package a small number of network floating licenses might work.
0 Kudos
Adrienne_S_
Beginner

Thanks, I'll try there too.

0 Kudos