Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Parallel Studio 2017 Update 2 breaks MKL auto linking in Studio

AndrewC
New Contributor III

Automatic linking (in Visual Studio 2015 )of MKL is broken in Update 2.

Previously if you selected MKL in Intel Performance Libraries the linker would get the MKL libraries automatically. I now have to add mkl_rt.lib to my linker options for all projects that use MKL . Curiously IPP and TBB link properly - they are not broken.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

thanks Andrew. Unfortunately, the VS 2015 is not installed right now to check this case. Did you see the similar issue with MKL 2017 update 1?

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Update 1 ( or other versions) had no integration issues with VS 2015.

This is easy to test using the project I submitted for the 5x5 MKL_DIRECT_CALL issue. I opened the project after installing Update 2, rebuilt and I get undefined externals for the LAPACK calls. Adding mkl_rt.lib to the link link fixes the issue. As I said, oddly, TBB and IPP "auto-link" just fine.

I uninstalled all previous copies of Parallel Studio 2017, reinstalled Update 2, and the problem remained.

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Interestingly, the issue only sees to arise when using the Intel Compiler. If using the Visual C++ compiler, the auto-linking with MKL works fine.

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Hi Intel,

This issue introduced in Update 2 really needs to be addressed in the next Update. The only workaround is adding mkl_rt.lib to the linker "Input"

You might think this is not a big issue, but this "bug" turns out to break "Incredibuild" ( distributed build system). Incredibuild cannot build any project with the option set to "Use MKL" in Intel Performance Libraries options.

I may have to go into the Intel specific XML files that control MKL Integration in Visual Studio to find the bug myself , but I really do not want to!

Andrew

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Andrew, could you please try the latest update 3 ( MKL v.2017 u3) which we released two days ago and let us know how this works on your side. thanks.  

0 Kudos