Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

RNG & NIST

dmitry_k
Novice

Hello, 

Does MKL’s RNGs address of NIST SP 800-90A recommendation for random number generation using deterministic random bit generators?

Thanks,

Dmitry 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
Hello Dmitry, MKL RNG checked the NIST SP 800 tests and all tests were passed.
0 Kudos
dmitry_k
Novice
Gennady, thanks for timely answer. But, I interested in item “8.8 Prediction Resistance and Backtracking Resistance” of NIST SP 800-90A (January 2012). How many RNG’s outputs I need to observe for recovery of seed due to “reverse engineering”?
0 Kudos
VictoriyaS_F_Intel
Hello Dmitry, Most of the MKL basic generators do not address prediction resistance and backtracking resistance of NIST SP 800-90A. Please try using non-deterministic RNG (VSL_BRNG_NONDETERM) which is available in MKL 10.3 Update12 to obtain those properties. "This BRNG is an abstraction of the source of non-deterministic random numbers supported in hardware". See VSL Notes for the details: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/mkl/vslnotes/vslnotes.pdf
0 Kudos
dmitry_k
Novice
Ok. If I get right, not one from among deterministic RNGs not compliance with NIST SP 800-90A recommendation. Will Intel plan to improve it? I believe repeatable unpredictable pseudo-random sequence will be useful for customers. Thanks, Dmitry
0 Kudos