Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Scalapack and MKL 6.1

brichsmith
Beginner
Hi everybody!

I have compiled Scalapack on top of MKL 6.1 with icc and ifc version 7.1. The compilation seems to work without a hitch (after a lot of work on SLmake.inc) but many of the test programs hang. Is there any information anyone can offer me about this? I have a situation where I must compile scalapack for three different compilers (GCC, PGI, and Intel) and so far, the Intel compiler has given me the most grief.

It seems that most of the single precision tests work well, but the double and complex tests all hang.

I have considered upgrading to MKL 7 beta, but this is a production environment and I'm not too sure the higher-ups would appreciate that.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here is a copy of my SLmake.inc file for your viewing (dis)pleasure.

##############################################################

SHELL = /bin/sh
home = /usr/local/scalapack-intel
PLAT = LINUX
BLACSDBGLVL = 0
BLACSdir = /usr/local/blacs-intel/LIB
USEMPI = -DUsingMpiBlacs
SMPLIB = -lmpich
BLACSFINIT = -lblacsF77init
BLACSCINIT = -lblacsCinit
BLACSLIB = -lblacs
TESTINGdir = $(home)/TESTING
CBLACSLIB = $(BLACSCINIT) $(BLACSLIB) $(BLACSCINIT)
FBLACSLIB = $(BLACSFINIT) $(BLACSLIB) $(BLACSFINIT)
PBLASdir = $(home)/PBLAS
SRCdir = $(home)/SRC
TESTdir = $(home)/TESTING
PBLASTSTdir = $(TESTINGdir)
TOOLSdir = $(home)/TOOLS
REDISTdir = $(home)/REDIST
REDISTTSTdir = $(TESTINGdir)
F77 = ifc
CC = icc
NOOPT =
F77FLAGS = -O3 $(NOOPT)
SRCFLAG =
F77LOADER = $(F77)
F77LOADFLAGS = $(F77FLAGS)
CDEFS = -DNO_IEEE $(USEMPI) -DAdd_
ARCH = ar
ARCHFLAGS = cr
RANLIB = ranlib
PBLASLIB = $(home)/pblas_INTEL_LINUX.a
SCALAPACKLIB = $(home)/scalapack_INTEL_LINUX.a
TOOLSLIB = $(home)/tools_INTEL_LINUX.a
REDISTLIB = $(home)/redist_INTEL_LINUX.a
BLASLIB = -L/usr/local/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_p4 -lmkl_lapack32 -lguide -lPEPCF90
PBLIBS = $(PBLASLIB) $(TOOLSLIB) $(FBLACSLIB) $(BLASLIB) $(SMPLIB)
PRLIBS = $(REDISTLIB) $(TOOLSLIB) $(CBLACSLIB) $(SMPLIB)
RLIBS = $(SCALAPACKLIB) $(PBLASLIB) $(REDISTLIB) $(TOOLSLIB)
$(FBLACSLIB) $(CBLACSLIB) $(BLASLIB) $(SMPLIB)
LIBS = $(SCALAPACKLIB) $(PBLIBS)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
My recommendation is to use MKL 7.0 beta until 7.0 is released. The 7.0 product will bereleased June 24.
Bruce
0 Kudos
brichsmith
Beginner
Any other suggestions besides that? The higher-ups are not willing to consider a beta. If someone can flat out tell me that it will not work, no matter what I do, I can probably get them to agree with the beta.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

I had suggested that the beta be used as an interim solution until the released version is available in a few weeks.

Solving the issue of building ScaLAPACK is a more difficult issue and I don't have a lot of suggestions there. However, I will request that the developer who builds ScaLAPACK for MKL look at your issue and respond in this forum.

Sorry I can not be of more help. Perhaps other developers who visit the forum can offer suggestions.

Bruce

0 Kudos
brichsmith
Beginner
Hey,

Would you mind telling me where I can get the beta? It appears to have dropped off the face of the earth in anticipation of my arrival ;) The Intel Download page says that they are no longer offering it.

Thanks

Brian
0 Kudos
Todd_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Brian,

Yes, the beta period is over so youcan no longer sign up. Why don't you submit an issue at premier support. They may be able to help you out.

-Todd

0 Kudos