Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6956 Discussions

Why the "LAPACKE_spbtrf" always return "-6"?

charlesqhappy
Novice

Hi, guys, I use "LAPACKE_spbtrf" to factorize a matrix A, as the following code, but the function always return -6, which indicate that parameter i is an illegeal value(Does it mean that the "lda" is illegal?).

So why it returns -6?

微信截图_20200926214214.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The matrix that you chose is not positive definite. The value of ldA is not correct for the 2-D array conventions that you are using. I think that you should spend time reading the MKL documentation. The MKL distribution comes with a number of example codes that are ready to compile, link and run.

Here is C code that worked (I changed the matrix to make it +def.).

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mkl.h>

int main() {

float ab[10] = { 30,31,32,33,34,
                11,12,13,14,0 };
int i,j;
const int n = 5;
int kd = 1;
int lda = n;
int info = LAPACKE_spbtrf(LAPACK_ROW_MAJOR, 'L', n, kd, ab, lda);
printf("info = %d\n",info);
for(j=0; j<=kd; j++){
   for(i=0; i<n; i++)printf("%8.5f ",ab[n*j+i]);
   printf("\n");
   }
return 0;
}

With such small examples, it is often instructive to use a package such as Matlab so that you can compare solutions, and to construct suitable input matrices. In this case, I increased the values on the principal diagonal, starting with your values, until Matlab told me that the matrix was positive definite.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The matrix that you chose is not positive definite. The value of ldA is not correct for the 2-D array conventions that you are using. I think that you should spend time reading the MKL documentation. The MKL distribution comes with a number of example codes that are ready to compile, link and run.

Here is C code that worked (I changed the matrix to make it +def.).

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mkl.h>

int main() {

float ab[10] = { 30,31,32,33,34,
                11,12,13,14,0 };
int i,j;
const int n = 5;
int kd = 1;
int lda = n;
int info = LAPACKE_spbtrf(LAPACK_ROW_MAJOR, 'L', n, kd, ab, lda);
printf("info = %d\n",info);
for(j=0; j<=kd; j++){
   for(i=0; i<n; i++)printf("%8.5f ",ab[n*j+i]);
   printf("\n");
   }
return 0;
}

With such small examples, it is often instructive to use a package such as Matlab so that you can compare solutions, and to construct suitable input matrices. In this case, I increased the values on the principal diagonal, starting with your values, until Matlab told me that the matrix was positive definite.

0 Kudos
charlesqhappy
Novice

Hi, Mecej, thanks very much again!

I didn't understand the "lda" well before, that's the main problem. Also a wrong intuition about the format that a positive definite band matrix have.

Now all the program works well! Thanks!

0 Kudos