Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charlesqhappy
Novice

Why the "LAPACKE_spbtrf" always return "-6"?

Jump to solution

Hi, guys, I use "LAPACKE_spbtrf" to factorize a matrix A, as the following code, but the function always return -6, which indicate that parameter i is an illegeal value(Does it mean that the "lda" is illegal?).

So why it returns -6?

微信截图_20200926214214.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Black Belt

The matrix that you chose is not positive definite. The value of ldA is not correct for the 2-D array conventions that you are using. I think that you should spend time reading the MKL documentation. The MKL distribution comes with a number of example codes that are ready to compile, link and run.

Here is C code that worked (I changed the matrix to make it +def.).

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mkl.h>

int main() {

float ab[10] = { 30,31,32,33,34,
                11,12,13,14,0 };
int i,j;
const int n = 5;
int kd = 1;
int lda = n;
int info = LAPACKE_spbtrf(LAPACK_ROW_MAJOR, 'L', n, kd, ab, lda);
printf("info = %d\n",info);
for(j=0; j<=kd; j++){
   for(i=0; i<n; i++)printf("%8.5f ",ab[n*j+i]);
   printf("\n");
   }
return 0;
}

With such small examples, it is often instructive to use a package such as Matlab so that you can compare solutions, and to construct suitable input matrices. In this case, I increased the values on the principal diagonal, starting with your values, until Matlab told me that the matrix was positive definite.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

The matrix that you chose is not positive definite. The value of ldA is not correct for the 2-D array conventions that you are using. I think that you should spend time reading the MKL documentation. The MKL distribution comes with a number of example codes that are ready to compile, link and run.

Here is C code that worked (I changed the matrix to make it +def.).

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mkl.h>

int main() {

float ab[10] = { 30,31,32,33,34,
                11,12,13,14,0 };
int i,j;
const int n = 5;
int kd = 1;
int lda = n;
int info = LAPACKE_spbtrf(LAPACK_ROW_MAJOR, 'L', n, kd, ab, lda);
printf("info = %d\n",info);
for(j=0; j<=kd; j++){
   for(i=0; i<n; i++)printf("%8.5f ",ab[n*j+i]);
   printf("\n");
   }
return 0;
}

With such small examples, it is often instructive to use a package such as Matlab so that you can compare solutions, and to construct suitable input matrices. In this case, I increased the values on the principal diagonal, starting with your values, until Matlab told me that the matrix was positive definite.

View solution in original post

charlesqhappy
Novice

Hi, Mecej, thanks very much again!

I didn't understand the "lda" well before, that's the main problem. Also a wrong intuition about the format that a positive definite band matrix have.

Now all the program works well! Thanks!