Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6956 Discussions

Won't let me install even though I have microsoft visual studio

gamalpha
Beginner
I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 express installed on my computer. When I try and install the math kernel library I get the following message

Intel Composer XE 2011 installation can continue, but take note

The Intel Composer XE 2011 requires that a Microsoft* development product be installed. Refer to the Release Notes for a list of the required Microsoft* development tools.
Installation can continue; however, you will have to configure Compiler scripts for command line build environment by hand if you want to use them. Refer to documentation for instructions how to do it.

The following components can not be installed:
- Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio*
- Integrated Documentation
Installation can continue; however, these components will not be installed because they require that a supported Microsoft* development tools be installed. Refer to the Release Notes for a list of the required Microsoft* development tools.

I looked at the release notes but couldn't find any information to solve this problem. What should I do?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Microsoft forbids GUI integration of 3rd party software tools, including Intel's, in VS Express. You should be able to use the command line for the Intel 32-bit compiler by adding the /Qlocation,link option to specify which Microsoft link folder path should be used, as hinted by the instructions you quoted.
Adding the option in icl.cfg (after giving yourself write permission) may be convenient, e.g.
-Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010\VC\bin\x86_amd64"
-Qansi-alias -Qprec-div -Qprec-sqrt
(ansi-alias asserts that your program adheres to standard, not assumed by CL).
If you wish GUI integration or 64-bit operation, you must install a higher version of VS, as explained in the release notes.
If your purpose is to use MKL with your VS Express compiler, you may be able to add the MKL library in your linker dependencies.

0 Kudos
gamalpha
Beginner
I'm not doing any programming with the GUI. All I want to do is to use lapack with MKL. I just want to be able to call lapack functions. I am using code that was written to run with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and to run on a SiemensMRI scanner and I can't use a different compiler even if I wanted to. I know that Siemens has the MKL libraries on their scanners but I have to write the code on my own laptop first and then transfer it. Some of the Siemens environment for the desktop is a black box and hard to modify. I need a simple way to link to the MKL libraries that I need.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As far as I know, the compilers in various VS2010 versions are the same, in case that's your objection to using a supported version of VS. I already explained more than one way you should be able to proceed.
0 Kudos
gamalpha
Beginner
I spoke to someone else who has made a Siemens environment work with MKL and they told me that all they had to do was make changes to their makefile. They didn't tell me what those changes were. What do I have to do to my makefile that runs with the command line compiler of visual c++ so that it can see the MKL libraries?
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The first thing to try to link with MKL is to use the /Qmkl option of the compiler. If you have a standarad installation of the Intel compiler(s) and MKL, this option is sufficient for the compiler to locate any needed MKL modules and include files at compile time, and to link with the necessary MKL libraries at link time.

Try adding '/Qmkl' to CFLAGS and/or FFLAGS in your makefile.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As MSVC won't recognize /Qmkl, you will need to refer to the link advisor for a suggested MKL library list.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...What do I have to do to my makefile that runs with the command line compiler of Visual C++ so that it can see the MKL libraries?

As soon as you have a list of MKL libraries, and of course you know a full path to a folder with these
libraries,they have to beadded toyour makefile.

Here is an example from some makefile file:

# Define project specific macros
PROJ_OBJS = $(OUTDIR)\generic.obj
BASE_OBJS =
EXTRA_LIBS = version.lib
GLOBAL_DEP = generic.h resource.h
RC_DEP = resource.h

and then EXTRA_LIBS macro has to be used in a command line that builds your application.
0 Kudos