Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

issue with MKL with visual studio

YusufThaer
Beginner

Dear All,

until today, I had visual studio 2019 installed with Intel Parallel studio and all was fine. I decided to install the new Intel onAPI. I uninstalled Intel Parallel Studio at first, then downloaded the one API base and HPC toolkit. I installed the base first then installed the HPC. I am doing that for using it for FORTRAN

I tried running my old projects that use use MKL as parallel or even sequential. I cant run any project that use MKL, I am sure the libraries are there in the directly and the visual studio rebuild the project without error but when I try to run the project, it tells me

" The code execution cannot proceed because mkl_intel_thread.1.dll was not found. reinstalling the program may fix this problem " . I uninstalled the hpc kit then uninstall the base one api then reinstall them again but it didnt work.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RahulV_intel

Hi Yusuf,

Follow these steps to include the missing DLL path:

• Open the project property pages (Alt + Enter)
  • Change the Configuration to Debug (On the top left corner)
  • On the left window, under the Configuration properties tab, click on Debugging.
  • Under the Action tab, click on the Environment field and add the following:
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\latest\redist\intel64;%PATH%

Save the changes and run your executable. Let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Rahul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Yusuf,

As this is issue is related to MKL, we are moving this thread to the MKL forum(Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library & Intel® Math Kernel Library - Intel Community) for better support.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

The issue is reproducible in my environment as well. However, there is a workaround given in this thread below.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-oneAPI-Math-Kernel-Library/VS-2019-Debugger-reports-missing-dll-and-does-not-start/m-p/1257511#M30918

Could you please try it out and let us know if you face any issues?

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
YusufThaer
Beginner

I will try it and I will give you a feedback.

thank you very much

0 Kudos
YusufThaer
Beginner

I tried it and it worked.

When I opened oneAPI command and write DEVENV, the visual studio starts and things work like charm.

but I couldnt add the path as I dont know how to add it

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

1. Download a program called file seek. 

2. Do a search on the c: drive for mkl*.dll

3. This will tell you where the missing dll's are located

4. Copy the folder location as text from Windows explorer

5. Open the environment variables -- google it 

6. Add the location to the path command 

7. It should work until the problem is fixed in an update. 

0 Kudos
YusufThaer
Beginner

I found the place where the missing dll exists. I copied the path from the explorer and added it in the environment in debugger but it didnt work.

YusufThaer_0-1614955233137.png

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Yusuf,

Follow these steps to include the missing DLL path:

• Open the project property pages (Alt + Enter)
  • Change the Configuration to Debug (On the top left corner)
  • On the left window, under the Configuration properties tab, click on Debugging.
  • Under the Action tab, click on the Environment field and add the following:
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\latest\redist\intel64;%PATH%

Save the changes and run your executable. Let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
Ever
Novice

No longer working. I just installed the latest version yesterday 6/19/2023 and repaired it today. 

My code uses MKL, it can compile and build as both Debug x64 and Debus x86, but when executed I get "mkl_sequential.2.dll was not found."

This code was working back in 2018. 

What can I do?

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi Yusuf,

Could you please confirm if the solution provided helps? Let me know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting the solution. The missing DLL issue will be fixed in the next oneAPI update.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

The missing DLL issue has been fixed in the latest release of the oneAPI base toolkit 2021.2. So, I will go ahead and close this thread from my end. Intel will no longer monitor this thread. Further interactions on this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos