Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

mkl with gfortran? is License required?

Germán
New Contributor I

Somebody handed me a program and I need to compile it, they use the Intel Fortran compiler and even link in the MKL library; but, I don't have Intel Fortran.

Questions:

• Can I use the MKL library with gfortran?
  • Does use of MKL require a license?
1 Solution
Germán
New Contributor I

Well, I have not actually tried to use mkl with gfortran, I will cross that bridge when/if I get to it.

After learning that I can install Intel Fortran and use it without the need for a license, then, my question is irrelevant.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Closing issue (is there a way to close it?) 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You did not state which OS you use, but in general MKL can be used using Intel Fortran, Intel C or GNU Fortran and C. The details vary with the OS and versions of tools.

Since a few months, you can obtain and use Intel Fortran and MKL without paying for a license; paid priority support is available as an option. You will need the HPC Toolkit and the Base Toolkit .

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

German, if you are using Intel® Math Kernel Library as a stand-alone product you do not need a license. If you are using it as part of the legacy Intel® Parallel Studio XE suite, you would need a license for it as it also includes Fortran and C++ compilers in it.

If you want to use the latest toolkits, you can use MKL without a license. Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library is a part of the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit. Please click here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/free-intel-software-developer-tools.html, to download the product.

0 Kudos
Germán
New Contributor I

Hello again, and thanks to both of you for your replies.

I have downloaded and installed Base+HPC Kits and, sure enough, I have been able to use and build a program without the need for any license. Thank you very much for that.

Forgive my old fashion ways, but I have never cared for IDEs like Eclipse, let alone Visual Studio (I have been mostly Linux kind of guy, anyway). The reason why I bring this up is because I noticed a big emphasis by the oneAPI kits on having Visual Studio as a pre-requisite; I think Base allowed installation, but HPC may have refused installation until I installed VS.

Question:
Am I to understand that these oneAPI products are not quite standalone and that in fact require Visual Studio, even if I just want to use them from the command line?

P.S. Oh, just noticed a previous post of mine did not make it...that's where I mentioned I am working on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There are many non-visual components of Visual Studio; these are required to compile, link and run C/C++ programs. These components include the C compiler, linker, libraries, debug facilities, etc. Intel Fortran leverages these components.

I rarely use the Visual Studio IDE, since the command line works fine for me. However, most users work almost entirely within Visual Studio, so many descriptions cater to these users.

MRajesh_intel

Hi,

>>Can I use the MKL library with gfortran?

According to the link line advisor tool, gfortran is supported only on Linux platform for now. Please visit this link:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/components/onemkl/link-line-advisor.html

Please let us know if you need any more information.

Regards

Rajesh.

0 Kudos
Germán
New Contributor I

Well, I have not actually tried to use mkl with gfortran, I will cross that bridge when/if I get to it.

After learning that I can install Intel Fortran and use it without the need for a license, then, my question is irrelevant.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Closing issue (is there a way to close it?) 

0 Kudos
Ruqiu_C_Intel

we are closing this thread for now. If you require any additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos