Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

omp

Petros_Mamales
Beginner
Hi,
I am porting to windows a package that uses omp. I know very little to nothing on omp, so please bare w/me.
I want this to be in the same dll with mkl.
Can I nake sure that the omp thread management from mkl also covers the one I am building ?
If use the mkl omp to link is this sufficient ? I imagine that, if I use the visual studio 2010 omp, I will I have2 different omp's running in there. What if I build using the intel compiler ?
If not, is there a way to overwrite the omp calls of mkl (similar to overwritting the allocators ) ?
As I said I am in terra incognita here and counting my marbles.. ;-)
Thank you in advance for your help,
Petros
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you write OpenMP in Microsoft C++, the OpenMP library (libiomp5) used by MKL supports also the OpenMP function calls of MSVC++. If using CL to link, you will probably require

/link
-nodefaultlib:vcomp.lib
-nodefaultlib:vcompd.lib

to prevent linking the Microsoft OpenMP library, as well as linking the libiomp5 in accordance with the MKL link advisor. If linking with the Intel compiler, using /Qopenmp, the [no]defaultlib directives should be taken care of (you will see them in the build log).
As you suggested, you will have trouble if more than one OpenMP library is linked in.

If you call a threaded MKL function inside an OpenMP parallel, you create an OpenMP nested situation. By default, the OpenMP library in that case should not allow the MKL function to make additional threads. You have the opportunity to allow MKL to use additional threads by setting environment variable OMP_NESTED and setting MKL_NUM_THREADS or using the corresponding function call.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting TimP (Intel)
...If using CL to link, you will probably require

/link
-nodefaultlib:vcomp.lib
-nodefaultlib:vcompd.lib

to prevent linking the Microsoft OpenMP library...
As you suggested, you will have trouble if more than one OpenMP library is linked in.

Hi Petros,

You could use aMicrosoft's Depends utilityto verify that'vcomp.dll'or 'vcompd.dll'are not going to
be loaded with your application.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
Petros_Mamales
Beginner
TimP and Sergey,
Thank you very much for your responses.
All the best,
Petros
0 Kudos