Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
2465 Discussions

Running uneven experiments in parallel and stopping upon the first success

reatmon
Beginner
We have a program where we want to get an answer back from a set of experiments. Based on the data set given in each experiment will either fail, or take longer than the others. Right now we are locked into a fixed order to run the experiments and stop after one completes successfully.

My goal is to run each of the experiments in parallel and when the first one completes and has valid data to kill off the other ones and stop wasting processor time since we already have the answer. This is not really a parallel_for type of problem, more like a task based problem. Ideally I would like to take each experiment and in turn make them run in parallel for better performance.

Is there any good way of a task telling the scheduler to stop the other sibling tasks and any additional tasks that they generated? or am I stuck writing this myself using pthreads?

Thanks,
Ryan Eatmon
0 Kudos
3 Replies
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II

We've talked previously in this forum of using a shared atomic to abort a set of tasks executing a split loop, but I have trouble understandingthe problem statement here. On the one hand, the goal is to race a discrete set of tests in parallel; on the other, there's arequirement to abort "generated ... additional tasks." The former suggests a set of single threaded experiments, no more alternatives than there are HW threads to use as vehicles: each proceeds independently and the first one finishing aborts the others. (Sounds a lot like processes affinitized to separate processors.) The latter suggests that the experiments themselves are threaded and need to be cleared from the task tree. But tasks arescheduled unfairly in TBB--not a good environment for a race.

Suppose we encapsulatea set of experiments as sibling tasks and call the scheduler. The available HW threads will each take one of the available siblings, do whatever task splitting is available to it, then proceed with the work. Experiments entrusted to other sibling tasks not in that firstsubsetwill langish in the treeas greedy scheduling has each thread working its own subtree of tasks. Marking completion of one of the experiments in the test set could be done by the method mentioned above, but because of greedy scheduling,some experiments in the cohort may not have even been started.

0 Kudos
reatmon
Beginner
I agree that making the tasks also parallel might defeat the benefit and leaving them as single threaded might make more sense. I'm more looking for a how so that we can try the different ideas and see which works better.

Specifically I'm looking forward to the day when there are 32 cores on the box we are running on and we have three routines to try on a first pass. We can control TBB to the point of limiting each routine to just use 8 cores apiece resulting in just 27 cores in use. The question that I'm looking to solve and thus want ideas on how to try it is:

Which is better? To run three routines in linear order but let each rountine use 32 cores, or to run three routines in parallel while limiting each one to 8 cores and kill the others as soon as I have a solution? I'm thinking only experimentation will yield the answer.

I suppose an easy solution would be to use some shared variables so that when one finishes we short circuit the other tasks and have them exit. Then we can just look at the results of each one and take the one with the solution. I guess I was just looking for a more elegant solution. =P

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee

My blog http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2007/11/08/have-a-fish-how-break-from-a-parallel-loop-in-tbb/shows a quick hack for efficiently breaking from a parallel loop in TBB.

0 Kudos