Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

TBB 4.1 update 3 for Android

Riccardo_Ancona
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am having some difficulties in following the tutorial at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/android-tutorial-writing-a-multithreaded-application-using-intel-threading-building-blocks using TBB 4.1 update 3 source files and NDK r8e.

From the first rows, I noticed that there is no <unpacked_dir>/build/android_setup.csh script to be executed, I noticed that the compiling guidelines say that I have to build the library using ndk-build target=android, but I don't understand if the build is successful because there is a huge number of ignored errors like:

make[1]: [malloc_test_no_depends] Error 1 (ignored)
sh ../../build/android.linux.launcher.sh ./test_malloc_atexit.exe
/system/bin/sh: ./test_malloc_atexit.exe: not executable: magic 7F45

and at the end of the built I got:

/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/toolchains/x86-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/i686-linux-android-g++ -c -MMD -o test_malloc_lib_unload_dll.o -O2 -DUSE_PTHREAD -D_GLIBCXX_HAVE_FENV_H -DDO_ITT_NOTIFY -D__TBB_USE_DLOPEN_REENTRANCY_WORKAROUND=1 -D__TBB_USE_DLOPEN_MAIN_PROGRAM_WORKAROUND=1 --sysroot=/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/platforms/android-9/arch-x86 -m32 -Wall -fPIC -D_USRDLL -I../../src -I../../src/rml/include -I../../include ../../src/test/test_malloc_lib_unload.cpp
/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/toolchains/x86-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/i686-linux-android-g++ -fPIC -o test_malloc_lib_unload_dll.so -O2 -DUSE_PTHREAD -D_GLIBCXX_HAVE_FENV_H -DDO_ITT_NOTIFY -D__TBB_USE_DLOPEN_REENTRANCY_WORKAROUND=1 -D__TBB_USE_DLOPEN_MAIN_PROGRAM_WORKAROUND=1 --sysroot=/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/platforms/android-9/arch-x86 -m32 -Wall -fPIC test_malloc_lib_unload_dll.o -L/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/platforms/android-9/arch-x86/usr/lib -L/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.6/libs/x86 -lgnustl_shared -ldl -Wl,-rpath-link=. -shared
/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/toolchains/x86-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/i686-linux-android-g++ -o test_malloc_lib_unload.exe -O2 -DUSE_PTHREAD -D_GLIBCXX_HAVE_FENV_H -DDO_ITT_NOTIFY -D__TBB_USE_DLOPEN_REENTRANCY_WORKAROUND=1 -D__TBB_USE_DLOPEN_MAIN_PROGRAM_WORKAROUND=1 --sysroot=/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/platforms/android-9/arch-x86 -m32 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-schedule-insns2 -D__TBBMALLOC_BUILD=1 -I../../src -I../../src/rml/include -I../../include -I../../src/tbbmalloc -I../../src/tbbmalloc ../../src/test/test_malloc_lib_unload.cpp -L/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/platforms/android-9/arch-x86/usr/lib -L/home/raa/Android/NDK/android-ndk-r8e/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.6/libs/x86 -lgnustl_shared test_malloc_lib_unload_dll.so -ldl -Wl,-rpath-link=.
sh ../../build/android.linux.launcher.sh ./test_malloc_pools.exe 1:4
/system/bin/sh: ./test_malloc_pools.exe: not executable: magic 7F45
sh ../../build/android.linux.launcher.sh ./test_malloc_atexit.exe
/system/bin/sh: ./test_malloc_atexit.exe: not executable: magic 7F45
sh ../../build/android.linux.launcher.sh test_malloc_lib_unload.exe
/system/bin/sh: ./test_malloc_lib_unload.exe: not executable: magic 7F45
sh ../../build/android.linux.launcher.sh -l libtbbmalloc_proxy.so test_malloc_overload.exe
^C../../build/android.linux.launcher.sh: 51: exit: Illegal number: -1
make[1]: [malloc_test_no_depends] Error 2 (ignored)
make: *** [tbbmalloc_test_release_no_depends] Interrupt

So, how can I compile TBB library for armeabi-v7a architecture?

But most of all, where I can find  Android documentation for TBB? That tutorial is too old! Is there an updated tutorial for Android quickstart with TBB? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_P_Intel2

hello Riccardo,

You can find a sample to build app for android in parallel_for/tachyon example. Its android makefiles are aligned with NDK spec.

the command line to build the library is

[bash]
ndk-build target=android tbb
[/bash]

For armeabi-v7a 

[bash]
ndk-build target=android tbb arch=arm
[/bash]

--Vladimir

Riccardo_Ancona
Beginner

Thank you SO much :) Now all is working and I am running TBB on android!

Thanks a lot!