Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

VS 11 beta

uj
Beginner
Is there any chance the next TBB download could support Visual Studio 11 beta?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
uj
Beginner
Well,actuallythe TBB VC10 libraries seem to work with VS 11 beta.

There were some strange linker errors at first but theymagicallydisappeared. The immediate problem wasthis line,

mutable tbb::atomic count;

It's a private member of a class and I thought countwould beinitialized to 0. It does so when compiled using VS2010 but not with VS 11 beta. If I explicitly set count to 0 in the constructor my little test example works.

I do this in a cpp file,

#include "tbb/tbbmalloc_proxy.h"

It's supposed to replace the standard allocator with the TBB scalable allocator. I don't know if it actuallydoes but at least the program doesn't crash.

Still I would appreciate if VS 11 beta were supported officially.
0 Kudos
RafSchietekat
Valued Contributor III
"It's a private member of a class and I thought countwould beinitialized to 0."
There's no reason it should.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Raf answered to first question, this is compiler specific behavior, to be sure that your code is movable between compilers do not rely on compiler, rely on C++ standard.
As for malloc replacement: it is good style to not crash in case an environment is unknown:) But thereplacementis not supported yet and it is ignored for binaries that use dev11 runtime.
dev11 beta won't be 'officaly' supported since we do not support 3rd party beta products but next open source update should contain some dev11 support including malloc replacement
--Vladimir

0 Kudos
uj
Beginner

> dev11 beta won't be 'officaly' supported since we do not support 3rd party beta products but next open source update should contain some dev11 support including malloc replacement

That's good. Unofficial is fine with me. And it looks quite promising. TBB for VS 2010 seems to workwith VS 11 beta,at least that's my initial finding.

But I think your position is wrong. For mostusers it'sTBB that's the3'rd part product, not the compilers. The only reasonable position would be for you to say that TBB should never stand in way of anydevelopment efforts of its users. By notsupporting VS 11 beta you are.

Like it or not, VS isthemajor development tool for a majority of developers and especially important this time with all the new C++ 11 features andthe new Windows 8 on the horizon.To consider it secondary to TBBis a ridiculous position in my view andshowsa complete lack of insight. In fact you have an obligation to stronglysupport it. You owe that toall TBB users who have put faith in TBB by allowing themselves to become dependent on it.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
Well, I've reviewed a documentation, we support dev11 consumer previewin the "Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 Beta for Windows*" bundle.

But I can't claim that a current version will work with a gold version of the dev11 since they can changefrom beta till gold whatever they want.
hope this helps.
thanks.
--Vladimir
0 Kudos