Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

compatibility

burlen
Beginner
Hi, I am considering trying intel TBB, it looks like an improvement over OpenMP. I am wondering though, will there be any issues running on Surprised smiley [:-O]AMD x86_64 architecture??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee

There is nothing in TBB preventing or hindering execution on AMD processors.

TBB might be perceived as "an improvement over OpenMP", but actually TBB and OpenMP serve different needs based on the development environment, ways parallelism can be expressed in an application, and associated algorithms. In the Section 2 of TBB FAQthere are a few items explaining this in more details. If you do not read it yet, I recommend you to do; search for OpenMP there.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Farnham
Beginner
I've built and tested TBB on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor machine (running Gentoo Linux), and I haven't noticed any issues thus far. The architecture of TBB certainly doesn't suggest any reason to suspect any issues would arise with AMD processors.

You can read the details of my TBB installation on my AMD system in my blog post "Threading Building Blocks, AMD Athlon 64 X2, and Gentoo Linux."

0 Kudos