Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

AMT config lost after OS reimage

elsrene
Beginner

Hey all, 

I'm sure this has been asked before  

We're using EMA and have a number of machines configured and connected in Admin Control Mode where we can connect out-of-band. The provisioning was done manually in MBex. 

Yesterday I had a machine that would not boot into Windows. I ended up having to reinstall Windows. After I did this I ran the EMA Agent service. On the EMA server that device now showed up twice. I then uninstalled EMA agent service on the computer. I also went into both those instances of the same machine in EMA and select to stop managing endpoint. I then went back on the machine and ran the EMA agent. It does come up in the system, but still having issues with CIRA. 

From what I can make out in the error message is that I need to go into BIOS and unprovision and then provision it again? However this defeats the purpose if I have to do it after an OS reinstallation, so I'm thinking I've got the sequence wrong perhaps...??

Any advise would be much appreciated  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello elsrene,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel Community. 

Please allow me to review this incident. I will update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

elsrene
Beginner
0 Kudos
elsrene
Beginner

Hi Wanner G,

Any feedback on this issue? Would be greatly appreciated  

0 Kudos
elsrene
Beginner
0 Kudos
elsrene
Beginner

Hi guys,

Any one at Intel able to assist please?

@IntelSupport 

@Wanner_G_Intel 

@WannerG_Intel 

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello elsrene,

Please find below an update to your inquiry.

Based on the information you have provided, you will need to either go into MEBX or use ACU Configurator tool to unprovision the machine. 

In addition, it is recommended to unprovision the AMT client first in Intel® EMA prior to reinstalling the OS. Intel® EMA now believes the AMT subsystem has already been provisioned even though it was technically already provisioned by itself. This can be avoided if you unprovision it before reimaging it.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
elsrene
Beginner
Thanks Wanner. 

Given the computer is 2000km away from me what is the best way to to do this? I won't be able to access the BIOS. Is there another way or tool? You mentioned ACU Configurator tool. Where can I get access to this and will it work? Also can you please provide me the process/steps.
0 Kudos
MU_Ryan
Beginner

@elsrene - did you ever find a solution to this? 

I recently made a similar post in this forum, but had not seen this thread until today. We're experiencing the same problem: reimaging a machine causes it to disassociate with the EMA server, although I'm still able to use the "Intel AMT" tab to connect to the chip directly as long as I don't run the agent/service provisioning tool on the PC after imaging.  If I run the agent/service provisioning tool I see the same error you posted, because the tool creates a new record and the EMA server can't assign it a new MebX password since it's already got a random one assigned by its previous record.

I agree with your sentiment that having to completely unprovision the MebX before re-installing the OS is problematic - especially if the OS is not functional! As far as I'm aware the ACU Configurator tool has to be executed inside an OS, so I'm not sure if it would help in situations like yours or not.

--Ryan

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello elsrene,

Please allow me to review your request.

I will update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos