Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Can I remotely control my home vPro PC over internet if have dynamic ip?

henrikeronen
Beginner

I have fiber optic connection in my home. Im planning to buy Asus pro Q570M-C motherboard(vPro supported) and Intel i5-11500(vPro supported) processor and enable amt-vPro. But my home ip is dynamic so if I then remotely restart my vPro pc then ip address will change..??? Is there some automatic ip updater built into the vPro motherboard which can update ip to the dyndns-service?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello henrikeronen,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

This is more a networking question than AMT/vPro.

It is possible to remote manage a system from outside the LAN. You need to open the ports in your modem/router. When you say your IP is dynamic you mean the external IP or internal LAN is set as DHCP? If internal DHCP is enabled you should be able to assign a static internal LAN IP based on your computer MAC address. But this won't even be necessary as per the AMT/vPro connections are set based on the computer name more than the their local IP address.  If you are talking about the external IP then this doesn't have much to do with AMT/vPro, since you will need to ask your ISP for a static IP service (usually extra fee) 

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
henrikeronen
Beginner

I mean my external ip is dynamic. I dont have router. My pc is directly connected to ethernet port that is on the wall. In my area static ip is too expensive. Now I use backround program which updates ip automatically to the cloud. I wonder is there some builti in IP auto update feature in vPro mother board bios? Because now example if my windows 10 crash then I cannot anymore get remote connection to restart my home pc.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello henrikeronen,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved. I will try to reach you as a very last time on next Thursday 28th. After that we will mark the thread as closed.

As an extra recommendation you could implement MeshCentral instead of EMA. It is an amazing open source software which should work pretty good for your application (considering you want to do a remote monitoring of your own systems only)  Open Software Projects - MeshCentral (meshcommander.com)

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello henrikeronen,

Even if you plug the ethernet cable to the wall RJ45 outlet, there should be any central modem that connects your home with the exterior. AMT usually uses the IP assigned to the OS when Windows is online. When the system goes offline, the MEBx uses the same IP that was in use by the OS. But either way, when you try to remote to a system, you look for the system name, and AMT converts that to the IP address assigned. AMT is even capable to update the IP when it been changed by the DHCP server.

I suggest to try Open Software Projects - MeshCentral (meshcommander.com) since is more user friendly and you won't need to worry about this IP changes issues

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello henrikeronen,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved. I will try to reach you as a very last time on next Thursday 5th. After that the thread will be closed automatically.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello henrikeronen,

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos