Intel® vPro™ Platform
Intel Manageability Forum (Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander)
Announcements
Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Cloud Start Tool for Azure* 2.0 is now available for download here.

The Intel® Manageability Commander 2.2 has been released! Learn more here.

The Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant, version 1.5.1 is now available for download here.

The Intel® Setup and Configuration Software tool will End of Life (EOL) on 12/31/2022. The Intel® Setup and Configuration Software Download will be available until March 31, 2021. For details, Please click here.
2562 Discussions

Confirmation Request: I have NO AMT with i3 despite great motherboard?

idata
Community Manager

Scenario: I've just ordered my first new batch of client PCs and I have a question. They're all using the Intel Executive DQ67SW motherboard.

I knew I wouldn't have the new vPro features (KVM) using an i3 2100 with my new client systems, but I did anticipate having some AMT features that would be carried over from previous generations. Upon trying to fire up the AMT software I'm greeted with a message of no support whatsoever. Is this true? It seems odd to me that even basic AMT functionality wouldn't be supported on these new platforms for purely marketing/up-sell reasons. The $75 price premium to the lowest i5 isn't warranted from a performance perspective in this case, so there is no way I can justify that cost on a per-machine basis for the full suite of management tech being that there is a helpdesk staff onsite and they haven't struggled in the past without AMT.

Am I SOL? Is the entire suite of features really intentionally disabled?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Sorry, but Intel AMT requires one of the Intel vPro processors (Intel Core i7 or Intel Core i5) that are listed here: /docs/DOC-5583 http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-5583.

(The only subset of Intel AMT is the Intel Standard Manageability Feature set and I don't think that will work with Intel Core i3 processors and your chipset.)

idata
Community Manager

I'm unsure how you are going about enabling AMT functions (I had to access the MEB-X menu with CTRL+P if I recall correctly during boot) - but I am successfully using AMT with an i3-2100 in a Dell OptiPlex 990. Unsure what the motherboard chipset is on this one - you are correct that full vPro and KVM is not available, but the other functions seem to be (Serial Over Lan, IDE-R, etc).

Hope this helps,

Alex