I am summoning all the vPro Gods on this one. We initially ordered about 1500 vPro Enabled machines to
refresh our current environment. We are a major financial institution with approx 190 remote locations so
we felt that vPro would suit us great. When we initially received the machines, and the machines were imaged
and connected to the network, the HP 7800's would start sending hello packets and register HPSYSTEM in
DNS with the IP address it has. As we kind of put the cart before the horse, we did not have anything setup
to do the provisioning.
The HPSYSTEM DNS entries started goofing up functions in our software so we were advised to disable the
TCP/IP interface to stop the ME's from registering duplicate DNS entries. At the time, HP did not turn off the
Hello Packets by default until their later BIOS revision 1.26.
Long story short, we currently have all these machines that have the TCP/IP Interface disabled in the MEBx and
now looking for a solution to remotely enable the interface and kick off provisioning. My hope was that I would
be able to use the SCS Activator (formerly RCT), to do this but I am not seeing anything in the documentation
that confirms this.
We do not have SCCM SP1 set up in a production environment, but I do have a Proof of Concept lab by which
I can test something on.
Does any one have any idea's on how to do this? I'd rather not have to send out tech's to these locations to
enable them again.
Thanks a million!
I need some information from you to determine next steps.
What BIOS version are you running on the HP7800's?
ME firmware version?
What specific setting did you "disable" to turn off the hello packets?
The HP 7800's are getting updated with the 1.26 BIOS FW. The ME FW is shipping with 3.0.x, but we are
updating it to 3.2.1. I know they released 3.2.2, but I haven't tested with it. We have Dell 755's in the same
boat. With the Dell's, we are updating the BIOS to A11. The Dell BIOS update also includes the ME FW
and brings it up to 3.2.1. At the moment, Dell has not made a BIOS update with 3.2.2 included.
Because we are at a bit of a stand still, we haven't started with a production implementation. I do, however,
have a proof of concept lab that is self contained so we avoid issues with putting it on our production wire.
Right now, I have an SCCM SP1 Server in a VM that is set up to do provisioning. It's been tested and verified
on both the 7800's and the 755's.
The setting that was changed is Intel AMT Configuration>TCP/IP>Disable Network Interface>Y
Like I said earlier, we put the cart before the horse because we were waiting for SCCM SP1 to be able to do
the in band provisioning through the SCCM Client. Becuase there was a gap, we were not ready to do the
provisioning. Because the interfaces were enabled, they were creating duplicate DNS records and creating
problems with a major application.
I hope this helps.
I'm not sure if you missed it, but the menus that I used to get to the setting werei n this order:
Intel AMT Configuration> TCP/IP> Disable Network Interface> Y
All the other settings are left as default. We were primarily concerned with the bad DNS entries
flaring up. That really is the only change that I am concerned with.