Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Dual graphics KVM

mh3
Beginner

There's numerous posts saying KVM does not work with discrete graphics.

But what if workstation has dual graphics: integrated (e.g. Intel UHD) and discrete (e.g. Nvidia Quadro)?

I've had a weird situation today.
I've setup KVM to a workstation with dual graphics and I've been able to see desktop, but the desktop wasn't quite right. It was not updated, meaning when I opened a window I didn't see it via KVM. Desktop was updated only after disconnecting/connecting KVM sessions.

So that got me thinking maybe there's a setting which would force something (Windows or driver) to copy screen from discrete to internal graphics in order to utilize KVM.

Discrete graphics is set as primary in BIOS.
Windows 10 (2004 version) "sees" both graphics (internal + discrete).
There's no utility installed which would enable switch from internal to discrete or vice versa.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

KVM it is only supported over integrated graphics. You want to check the AMT implementation Reference Guide: https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Fkvmonaplatformwithdiscretegraphics.htm

"KVM on a Platform with Discrete Graphics

The Intel AMT KVM only operates with Intel® Integrated Graphics. A platform may also have an external graphics system such that the platform user can switch back and forth between the graphics interfaces. An example of a dual graphics scheme is a mobile platform that has an external graphics interface that is faster and has higher resolution than the integrated graphics but uses more power. Such a platform must be set to use Intel Integrated Graphics for an Intel AMT KVM session to work successfully. OEMs provide a mechanism to switch from external graphics to integrated graphics, often a software application that runs on the host. If an IT operator cannot see the display on a KVM viewer, it may be necessary to direct the PC user to switch to integrated graphics."

Hope it helps

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as closed. I will follow up a last time on next august 18th

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mh3
Beginner

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful

Not really.

But  it does not matter, I had very bad experience with KVM - it was awfully slow and mouse was out of sync. It reminded me old versions of server's ILOs, especially Fujitsu-Siemens brand.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

There is some delay on KVM which depends on the network bandwidth. It is somehow expected but should not be that much. It is possible there are some other issues affecting the KVM performance. Are you connecting to this system over WiFi? Have you tried direct LAN connection?

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
mh3
Beginner

Are you connecting to this system over WiFi?

No over LAN.

But this thread should be about dual graphics systems.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

In such case let me research further on this

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

There is a noticeable performance difference between like a windows remote desktop session and an AMT connection when comparing the two, it’s obvious. It’s mainly because the CSME is a low power management engine and a limitation of encoding and transmission of video signal, so performance on LAN is approximately 15 frames per second with a threshold of 12 frames per second. What we’ve found is that the newer firmware AMT 11 or greater used with meshcommander, there is some optimization within meshcommander for a better KVM experience.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

I am just following up to double check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as closed. I will try to reach you back on next Thursday 27th

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
mh3
Beginner

I again am reminding this thread is about utilizing KVM on systems with dual graphics.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mh3,

We understand your original question. Unfortunately KVM is only possible on the integrated Intel graphics. Thus using a discrete or secondary graphics card for AMT KVM is not supported, even if it might work partially and/or unstable.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos