Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Hardware KVM not working well with 11th Gen Lenovo X1 Nano/Carbon

boonhau
Employee

Hi, 

I'm looking for some guidance on how to fix or improve Intel EMA Hardware KVM (or Remote Desktop) on 2 units of 11th Gen Lenovo X1 Nano and Carbon (both Evo) that I have with me. 

Issues observed on Lenovo X1 Nano:

1. Mouse movement and clicks does not seem to respond at all (note: software KVM is perfectly fine)
  2. KVM session sometimes disconnects when doing an OS restart  

Issues observed on Lenovo X1 Carbon:

1. KVM session sometimes disconnects when doing an OS restart
  2. KVM doesn't work when system is in BIOS setup 

Both systems are fully updated to the latest drivers and BIOS provided by Lenovo (System Update app), as well as the latest Windows Updates. 

OS is Windows 10 Pro default image provided by Lenovo. 

With the same Endpoint Group and agent used on a NUC8v5PNH, everything works perfectly. 

Mouse movement and clicks responds well, KVM session persists during OS restarts and works in BIOS setup.  

Has anyone else encountered this with Lenovo devices?

Any advice will be welcomed. 

Thanks!

Boon Hau Poh

FAE, APJ Inside Sales

0 Kudos
20 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

I understand that you are experiencing performance issues with EMA in your Lenovo X1 Carbon.

I will be more than glad to help you today.

Can you please provide us the EMA version that you are running? Are you running the same version on the Lenovo X1 Carbon and the Intel® NUC 8 Pro Kit NUC8v5PNH?

Did you notice the performance issue recently or the Lenovo systems had this issue since the beginning?

Can you please provide us a copy of the EMA logs?

Are you running the same operating system version on the Intel® NUC 8 Pro Kit NUC8v5PNH? 

We will be looking forward to your updates.

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

Hi Sergio,

Many thanks for your response. 

Attached is the EmaAgent.log file from the Lenovo X1 Nano system. 

The EMA server is running on version 1.6.1. 

The same EMA server is used to manage the Lenovo systems and the NUC. In fact, all of them are in the same Tenant, and Endpoint Group. 

The Lenovo systems have been having issues since the very beginning, while the NUC has never had any such problems. 

The Lenovo X1 Nano and NUC are both on Windows 10 updated to the latest Windows Updates. 

The Lenovo X1 Carbon has been updated to Windows 11. 

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Thank you for sharing the logs. After checking them, we could not find any errors.

Have you tried to test the Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA)version 1.7.1.0 on one of the Lenovo systems?

You can download this version here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19449/intel-endpoint-management-assistant-intel-ema.html

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

Hi Sergio,

I have not tried with EMA 1.7.1 but I have tested the Lenovo systems on every EMA update release till 1.6.1 and it has never made a difference. 

I've attached here the EMA Agent log from the Lenovo X1 Carbon. 

Regards,

boonhau

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Thank you for updates.

Have you tried to perform a BIOS update on one of the Lenovo systems? Also, have you tried to contact Lenovo support for this issue?

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

Yes, I have kept the Lenovo systems fully up to date using their System Update app - it checks current driver, BIOS, firmware versions and downloads the latest and installs them. 

No I have not contacted Lenovo support as I'm not sure that a general Lenovo support personnel will be able to understand the issue. If anybody has contacts with Lenovo support familiar with Intel EMA/AMT that will be of great help. 

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Is this issue happening when remote accessing your Lenovo systems through the EMA console > Hardware Manageability tab, or in Desktop tab or both?

Are the systems provisioned as Admin Control Mode or Client Control Mode?

Lenovo support might assist in getting a newer ME firmware update (if available)

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

Hi Jose,

The issue only happens with Hardware Manageability tab -> Remote Desktop. 

Issue does not happen when using the Desktop tab. 

Systems are provisioned in Admin Control Mode. The same Endpoint Group and EMA Agent was used to provision both Lenovo systems as well as the NUC. 

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

We appreciate that information, please allow us to check it and we will get back to you.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Thank you for waiting for our updates.

In order to continue troubleshooting your problem, can you please let us know what network connection is using on your systems? Is it wired or wireless?.

Can you please test both systems (the working and the non-working) in the same type of connection, both wired and wireless, to rule out a possible network connection issue?

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

Hi, 

I can confirm that both the Lenovo and the NUC are connected via Wi-Fi to the same wireless access point. 

I've captured a video of the issue - click on the link below. Observe that the Hardware KVM is slow to load, and the mouse movement and clicks do not register at all. 

EMA issue with Lenovo X1 Nano.mp4

As an aside, I have also submitted this issue to Lenovo, via their general support website. I have yet to receive any response from them.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Just for testing purposes, please try to connect using the wired connection and check if the problem continues.

We also will be checking the video sent by you.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

We are following your thread and would like to know if you have any updates.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

The Lenovo X1 Nano does not have an Ethernet LAN port, so it can only use Wi-Fi for AMT. 

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

We appreciate that information, please allow us to check it and we will get back to you.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

Thank you for waiting for our updates.

We have not seen this issue from our end. 

We understand that you already contacted Lenovo support, have you heard back from them?

This seems a very unique to their platform and may be a known issue that they have a resolution to and that is why we haven't seen it.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

We are following your thread and would like to know if you need further assistance.

Looking forward to your updates.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

We are following your question and would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this thread.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello boonhau,

We are following up further on this case, which is still open with a "Hardware KVM not working well with 11th Gen Lenovo X1 Nano/Carbon" problem description.

We know that this is important for you to get it resolved, and it is also equally important for us to get you the right solution. Since we have not seen an update for a week, now, please, know we will get in contact with you next Monday, 6/27 to inform you that the case will be closed; this is if there is still no answer from your side, by then.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
boonhau
Employee

The issue is still unresolved, and no real response yet from Lenovo support. 

0 Kudos