Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2886 Discussions

Having issues creating USB boot stick

John_T_Intel
Employee

I am using the ACU Wizard to create a bootable USB stick to enable AMT on an HP Prodesk 800 G4 (can't manually enable as it's using MEBx v12 and I cannot find documentation on that version). I select the required options but when it starts, I get an error about half way through that says:

"Keys copied to the USB drive with the following error(s):The file is not located in the correct position on the USB drive (the first file on the drive). Click Ignore to continue or click Retry to reattempt copying the keys to the drive."

I've tried ignoring the error and it finishes, however the stick does not boot in any machine. I've tried Configurator Download Package 12.0.0.129 (newest) and v11.2.0.35 (the only other one I can find) and both produce the same error each time. I have tried multiple USB sticks both 3.0 and 2.0 with no luck.

I am not sure how to create these boot sticks at this point.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi, Thank you so much for the information provided. There are some logs that you can share with us, but those logs are from the RCS Server (RCS Log). Which specific log would you like to provide us? On the other hand, you have the possibility to verify using the Event Viewer in order to see if there is something affecting the performance of your computer. Please let us know the outcome in order to proceed with the next step. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

I was just asking if you knew of any logs that got generated locally so you could see what was going on. I provided the specs of my laptop earlier - I can assure it is not a performance issue. These are the event viewer logs:

Application:

Faulting application name: ACUWizard.exe, version: 12.1.0.87, time stamp: 0x5cad850f

Faulting module name: ACU.dll, version: 12.1.0.87, time stamp: 0x5cad6d21

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00119f3b

Faulting process id: 0x5fc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4f5ef4fc14e2d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\SCS ACUWizard\ACUWizard.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\SCS ACUWizard\ACU.dll

Report Id: bc41e42a-a81c-4553-a0c9-e35108fd2154

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

.NET Runtime:

Application: ACUWizard.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

at SCSWizardLogic.Controls.ActivatorDLLManager.SetCompatibilityMode(System.Text.StringBuilder)

at SCSWizardLogic.Model.ActivatorTableModel.SetCompatibilityMode()

at Gui.Forms.MultipleSystemsUSBForm.Apply()

at Gui.Forms.MultipleSystemsUSBForm.OKButton_Click(System.Object, System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(System.EventArgs)

at AMT_SW_GUI.AMT_OuterButton.OnClick(System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons, Int32)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(System.Windows.Forms.Form)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window)

at ScsControls.BaseForm.ShowDialog()

at Gui.Forms.ProfileEditing.prepareAUSBKeyForManualConfigurationToolStripMenuItem_Click(System.Object, System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(System.EventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(System.EventArgs, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(System.EventArgs, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons, Int32)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(System.Windows.Forms.Form)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window)

at ScsControls.BaseForm.ShowDialog()

at Gui.Program.Main(System.String[])

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi, Thank you so much for the information provided. We will take a look into this, in order to verify the information. On the other hand, have you performed a clean installation of the OS recently? Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

No I have not re-imaged and that is not a feasible option for me.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello JTies, I am just following up to double check if you still have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? Please do not hesitate to contact us back. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

I have found an alternative solution. You may mark this as complete if you like. I left it open in case you wanted me to try any other steps in your efforts to determine why they ACU Wizard doesn't work in Windows 10. Please feel free to let me know if you want me to try something else.

0 Kudos
rpertusio
Beginner

What was your alternateive solution?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello JTies, Thanks for the updates. I understand you got a remote connection conference call about this issue. I will try to get updates from them to doublecheck if there is something they want you to try before marking this thread as resolved. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello JTies, After doublechecking with engineering there are no further steps suggested to try in your case. Just as a final note it looks like your equipment (or any of their components) are not vPro capable thus not allowing the USB provisioning method to work. We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions please go ahead and create a new topic. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

Ok, if that is the case then Intel should update their documentation and info videos accordingly. If you look at the screen shot from one of my earlier comments, it clearly states in that video that the system creating the USB does NOT have to be vPro enabled. That may be causing a lot of confusion for any others also having this issue.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello JTies, You are correct, the system where you create the USB key doesn't need to be AMT capable. If you want we can try to do a remote session just like with the other case so we can see the error message and the moment when it fails. What time and date will be better for you? Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello JTies, Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello JTies, We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos