Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Inetl KVM - Lots of Newbie questions?

idata
Employee

I'm about to buy parts and setup a server for our home network and i need a remote desktop for it.

1) Can Intel Vpro KVM give me a complete remote desktop experience so i have complete admin control as if i'm sitting at the desktop and can i transfer files via drag and drop across the network or view and watch media on the home sever?

2) I understand that the server will need to be running a Vpro compatible CPU using the integrated graphics for KVM but will the network computers or laptop connecting to the server via KVM also need to be running a Vpro CPU with integrated graphics?

3)The server will not have a screen,keyboard or mouse attached , will this be a problem for KVM?

4) Can the user consent be changed to a standard fixed pass or number so the computers logging into the server can give the details to login?

I had loads more but thats all i can think of for now that i mostly need and answer too before i buy the parts.

Thanks alot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

The vpro KVM feature is meant for remote debug and assistance and will meet your needs of viewing media poorly.

Complete KVM: Yes.

Drag and drop files: No.

The accessing system does not need a vpro CPU.

No screen\keyboard\mouse is ok.

User consent requirement can be disabled.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thankyou Kyle you have been a great help.

Glad to hear that the accessing system does not need a vpro CPU as that will save alot of money and means we can use our laptop aswell.

Would you go for vpro KVM with say a FTP server for file transfer or would you choose a completely different remote desktop as realvnc has built in file transfer and it doesn't need Vpro from what i can gather.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Icetea,

1) Can Intel Vpro KVM give me a complete remote desktop experience so i have complete admin control as if i'm sitting at the desktop and can i transfer files via drag and drop across the network or view and watch media on the home sever?

You will have a complete KVM(Keyboard, Vidio & Mouse) feature over the server, but for file transfer you will need to configure also the an IDER session(another capability of VPro). The adventage of this KVM is even when your HD crashed you can still do KVM session and format and install a new OS from remote(with the IDER feature also).

2) I understand that the server will need to be running a Vpro compatible CPU using the integrated graphics for KVM but will the network computers or laptop connecting to the server via KVM also need to be running a Vpro CPU with integrated graphics?

No, only the server will need to be connected with the integrated graffic card. the KVM is using VNC protocal, so you will be able to do KVM with VNC programs.

3)The server will not have a screen,keyboard or mouse attached , will this be a problem for KVM?

Only the screen is mandetory(connected to the integrated graffics card).

4) Can the user consent be changed to a standard fixed pass or number so the computers logging into the server can give the details to login?

The user consent is for machines that have a user next to them that need their consent before starting a KVM session. In your case you don't need the user consent and can be removed in the MEbx menu(it's like the BIOS menu)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey TT could you explain why there is a need to have a monitor plugged in to the server even though it's unattended?

Thanks

0 Kudos