Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Intel Vpro with SCCM 2012 SP1

MRudy
Beginner

I am looking in to using SCS to provision clients for use with SCCM 2012. There are directions /community/vproexpert/blog/2012/08/10/now-available-guidance-for-ms-sccm-2007-intel-scs here and http://blogs.bamits.com.au/2012/09/integrating-sccm-2012-with-scs-81.html here on how to integrate that I am researching. I have a couple of questions for someone who has done this already.

1. The SCCM http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx# BKMK_SupConfigOOB documentation states that SCCM 2012 SP1 only supports AMT up to version 6.1. Is this for provisioning only or will the Out of Band Management Console not work with newer already provisioned AMT version machines?
  2. For the Configuration Method, with admin control mode does the provisioning server need to be setup with a database? I would like to use the SCCM primary site server to install SCS, but we are using SQL 2012 and SCS 8.2 doesn't support SQL 2012.
  3. What are the benefits of using a database with the SCS server?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Mike,

1. The SCCM documentation in regards to AMT is outdated and incorrect. SCCM 2012 supports AMT versions beyond 6.1, including the current generation.
  2. As long as your situation doesn't require each system have a randomized password for AMT, then configuring your clients in Admin control mode with non-database mode will be just fine.
  3. In this Database mode, data about each Intel AMT system is stored in an SQL database. This includes data that can be used to connect to the system and the admin password that was put in the Intel AMT device. You can then use the Console to monitor the systems and do reconfiguration/maintenance tasks on them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Mike,

1. The SCCM documentation in regards to AMT is outdated and incorrect. SCCM 2012 supports AMT versions beyond 6.1, including the current generation.
  2. As long as your situation doesn't require each system have a randomized password for AMT, then configuring your clients in Admin control mode with non-database mode will be just fine.
  3. In this Database mode, data about each Intel AMT system is stored in an SQL database. This includes data that can be used to connect to the system and the admin password that was put in the Intel AMT device. You can then use the Console to monitor the systems and do reconfiguration/maintenance tasks on them.
0 Kudos
MRudy
Beginner

So the only thing SCCM 2012 can't do well is provision?

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

SCCM 2012 has the same provisioning capabilities as SCCM 2007.

0 Kudos
Jdami
Beginner

Hi Mike,

One of things that I use to do with success and RECOMMEND is: Use Intel SCS to handle all provisioning process, then import the provisioned machines into SCCM (2007 or 2012). Intel SCS is specifically to handle this kind of job and will work much better. SCCM will be then used to make the management of your assets and computers, taking care of vPro machines as well. But remember, vPro features present in AMT versions greater than 6.1 will useless through SCCM 2012.

Hope, this helps you.

Best Regards,

Damico

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alan,

One question, when saying "current generation" are you referring to AMT 9?

Many thanks in advance,

Per

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

SCCM 2012 can manage AMT 9 systems. However, you will need to provision them using SCS.

0 Kudos