Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

NUC 11 Pro Dual LAN AMT Issue

brasoveanul
Beginner

Hello,

I have been able to buy one of the very few available units of NUC 11 Pro Dual LAN, model BNUC11TNHV70L00 , latest BIOS version 0064. 

1. There is an issue with Intel AMT, in that it displays, both in the web interface and through a client like MeshCommander, only one module of installed RAM, mainly BANK0(Module 1), the other installed module is simply ignored, like it would not have been installed. BIOS, the OS, see the fully installed amount correctly (64 GB at 3200 MHz, even the latency and timings are correct), Memtest86, Memtest64 do not detect any issues even when run for many hours. There is another possibly related oddity, Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, latest version launched more than one year ago, reports an IMC test failure with the message "Cannot get size of memory". I repeat, other than these, the memory seems to be 100% stable and correctly seen and addressed by any other app, including the OS, while the CPU itself (i7-1185G7)  seems fine, with Cinebench R23 scores more than a 7700k. Would this be a possible hardware issue, or some software bug, which may hopefully be fixed with a BIOS update?

2. There is another curiosity. I plugged in the daughter extension card, the one with two USB 2.0 ports and one 2.5 Gbps LAN port, two USB devices in the two USB ports, a sound DAC, and a USB TV tunner. When both are plugged into that card, the USB DAC does noy work properly, the sound is produced with crackles, artefacts, even the two channels are inversed (right becomes left and viceversa). I moved the USB DAC to another USB port outside of the expansion module, leaving only the TV tunner and a wireless receiver (keyboard and mouse) into that daughter expansion module, everything works fine now. Would this be expected, is that SATA B-key interface insufficient in order to sustain the proper operation of both the TV tunner and USB DAC?

Thank you for all information and explanations with anticipation!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
brasoveanul
Beginner

I would like to add to point 1 above, that Intel SSU also wrongly reports 32 GB of installed memory instead of the correct 64 GB, it practically sees just the one DIMM that Intel AMT also sees. Maybe the newest BIOS version confuses the Intel utilities, which would expect to receive some other kind of data? If it is a software bug, then it would be fine, but I would like to definitely rule out a hardware issue here, which does not manifest, as the system seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

This is what Intel SSU reports for memory, which does not make much sense. It sees that there are 64 GB, but it initially reports 32 GB, please see for yourself, maybe you understand it and can explain it to me. Probably, this is what also confuses Intel Processor Dianostic Tool.

- "Memory"
Physical Memory (Available):"45,48 GB"
Physical Memory (Installed):"32 GB"
Physical Memory (Total):"63,56 GB"
- "BANK 0"
Capacity:"32 GB"
Channel:"Controller0-ChannelA-DIMM0"
Configured Clock Speed:"3200 MHz"
Configured Voltage:"1200 millivolts"
Data Width:"64 bits"
Form Factor:"SODIMM"
Interleave Position:"First position"
Manufacturer:"Kingston"
Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"
Memory Type:"Unknown"
Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"
Part Number:"KF3200C20S4/32GX"
Serial Number:"AD705810"
Type:"Synchronous"

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

I would like to add that, meantime, I have even done a BIOS Recovery Update using the latest version 0064. The situation that is described stays unchanged. Please try to look over this issue as soon as possible and offer a clear answer, whether this could be a hardware fault, or a software issue that will be fixed by a future BIOS update. If it may be a hardware issue, I'll open a warranty case with you. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

HWInfo64 reports the memory as you can see below, in the attached picture. The first memory module is reported with a prefix[BANK0...], please see it in the picture, while the second memory module is reported individually, without this prefix. Probably, this is the cause of the memory reporting glitch? Is it a software bug or a possible hardware problem? The memory modules are confirmed to be absolutely OK.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello brasoveanul,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I would like to research more about this, in order to do so, please provide the following information:

• Provide full SSU report. Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

• Provide make and model of RAM modules.
  • Specify model of TV Tuner and DAC.
  • What daughter expansion card are you using?

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

Dear Steven,

I attached the full SSU report.

- The make and model of RAM modules was already specified, and it is also included in the SSU, it is a matched pair of Kingston 64 GB 3200 MHz, CL 20, - KF432S20IBK2/64 . It is perfectly compatible with this precise model TNHv70L00, I used it before the previous NUC of the same model refused to power on, suddenly, after one month of normal usage, and the whole amount was correctly reported by both Intel AMT and any other utility, like HWInfo. Unfortunately, this got broken by itself, as I have mentoned. I sent it to warranty, but they were not able to provide a replacement and I got my money back. This is why, this time, I would like to work directly with Intel, as I want a perfectly functional unit of this model, this is the second unit, which also seems to be having problems.

- The TV tuner is HOPE R C TV, https://www.emag.ro/tuner-tv-hope-r-c-tv-full-hd-usb2-0-receiver-dvb-c-t-t2-fm-stereo-telecomanda-antena-tvdvbchc-usb/pd/D52XY2BBM/ . The tuner is very well, I have also used it with the previous unit of the same model, without issues.

- The DAC is Logilink UA0099, the same note, worked flawlessly with the previous unit, that refused to power on after one month. https://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-de-sunet/logilink/sound-box-usb-71-ua0099/

- I use the daughter card that comes pre-installed by Intel, BNUC11TNHv70L00 is the model with the second LAN port and two additional USB ports.

- As a final question, what would be the procedure to initiate the RMA process with Intel and get a replacement unit, if this will not be solved?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

If warranty is needed, we will need to create a warranty case for the unit. That is handled by another, so I will instruct you on how to do that if we get to that point.

I will proceed to work on this case, as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

The only solution would be to try with an updated BIOS that would attempt to solve this potentially software issue(I mainly refer to the memory issue in this statement). Thus, as soon as a new BIOS version becomes available, which your colleagues deem as proper to solve the issue, even before it is put online, please let me know. Regarding the expansion card issue, I have even enabled the BIOS option Force power to M.2 2242, to no avail, if both devices are plugged in, then the described problem manifests. The previous unit of the same model, did not manifest this issue. Please check whether there is not also a bug issue that was introduced in version 0064, which generates this issue, as I did not have this issue with the previous unit. In conclusion, I am impatiently wait for a new BIOS version that might address, at least, the memory issue. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello brasoveanul,

We will move your question to the correct sub forum, the team in charge will get back to you soon in order to proper assist you with this situation.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello brasoveanul,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

I will be taking a look at the AMT issue specifically. The AMT information is gathered by the Management Engine which is separate from the system. It has its own firmware and seems like the update is performed within the same BIOS update package. I can see there is ME driver for Windows available under the NUC Intel downloads:

Intel® Management Engine Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit and Windows 11* for NUC11TN[x]v5 and NUC11TN[x]v7

About the memory issue, according to the SSU, all 64 Gb are been detected under physical memory total, but for some reason only 32 Gb are detected as usable. I would suggest to physically swap the SODIMMs from slots and run the SSU report again.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

Dear Jose,

I have already gone through all the usual debug steps, including swapping the memory modules, thoroughly checking whether they are properly seated, carefully checking whether memory's gold contacts are fine, etc...The modules are confirmed to be 100% OK, their installation is OK. Therefore, if the issue cannot be fixed with a BIOS issue, then the NUC itself has a hardware problem. I have already been given the agreement to return  the NUC for  a refund, but I would like to wait and see whether a BIOS update may fix this issue. Otherwise, I have described, in issue number 05468219, the guidelines that I would consider as acceptable for solving this situation, the refund is between them, as a last resort. Please take a look on this issue, 05468219, to learn out more. I am fairly disappointed, as this is the second defective NUC of this kind, and this is a product that would be considered as professional.

0 Kudos
brasoveanul
Beginner

Hello,

I would be more than happy to receive a replacement unit, but they do not
want to send me a replacement unit, saying that they don't have one,
anywhere in the world. They only want to send my money back, but I would
like to get a replacement perfectly working unit. Could you please re-check
and see whether you can send me a replacement BNUC11TNHv70L00? I'll
probably proceed with the RMA related to case number 05468219
<https://supporttickets.intel.com/requestdetail?id=5004U00000xZTM4QAO&lang=en-US>
but I would like to get a working unit back, if you can find one, rather
than a refund. In conclusion, please re-check, maybe you can find a
replacement unit for me.

Regards,
Razvan Bocu

0 Kudos