Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Unknown Error 8838 when Updating AMT Firmware

JNach1
Beginner

Just after some advice on what this error means. Its being seen on a number of machines when attempting to upgrade AMT Firmware using Intel tool FWUpdLcl64.exe to upgrade to 11.0.25.3001 within a Windows 7 x64 OS.

Sometimes a restart can resolve it, other times multiple restarts may be needed before it can succeed.

thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelA_Intel

jnachos

Hi Jnachos,

Can you provide us with the make, model, processor and chipset of the system's you are referring? Are they all the same models, different, etc? Are you noticing any patterned behaviors based on model?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
JNach1
Beginner

Specifically it seems to be Lenovo M900 with Core I5-6500 (Quad Core 3.2GHz 6MB).

No pattern of behaviour, other than it affects some machines and not others, and that repeated attempts over a course of time at the firmware upgrade seem to eventually allow it to be accepted. Sometimes a single reboot resolves it, sometimes not.

Im somewhat stuck with troubleshooting since the error provides no information as to the cause.

0 Kudos
KenF_Intel

Hi Jnachos,

Please check that the Intel Management Interface driver is installed on the problem systems. Go to Device Manager->System Devices. You should see something like the following:

0 Kudos
JNach1
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I have checked a number of systems and confirmed the ME driver is properly installed. Is there anything else to check ?

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

jnachos

hi Jnachos,

Sorry for the back and forth. I would like to know what version of the ME driver that is installed on these systems. Are they all on the same version or are there differences. Once you have this information, can you also check the Lenovo web site to make sure you have the latest ME version?

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos