Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Anyone have a BMC firmware update file for a S5520HC board?

AKF00
Beginner

Hi,

I got in a customer server with a S5520HC board which had apparently failed to update to the latest BIOS. Upon power-up fans are stuck on high, there is no activity on the POST status LEDs and the NIC LEDs are not lit. After about 3 minutes the board will POST however in the BIOS there is an error 84F2 - it appears that the BMC firmware is missing. Unfortunately there are no longer any BMC (or FRU) updates available on the support page, only BIOS recovery, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum might still have a copy of a BMC firmware update that they could send me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioS_Intel

Hello AKF,

The interactive technical support for the Intel® Server Board S5520HC you have requested has been discontinued. We can provide you with resources and self-service support information through our website. 

We highly suggest that you get information from the technical product specification site and all available technical information is included in the support site. 

Remember that by updating your server firmware you will update the BMC firmware, you will be able to find the latest firmware update for your board here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/36599/Intel-Server-Board-S5520HC

I am going to proceed and move your thread to the Discontinued Products Community, so you can get recommendations from fellow community members. 

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello AKF,

The interactive technical support for the Intel® Server Board S5520HC you have requested has been discontinued. We can provide you with resources and self-service support information through our website. 

We highly suggest that you get information from the technical product specification site and all available technical information is included in the support site. 

Remember that by updating your server firmware you will update the BMC firmware, you will be able to find the latest firmware update for your board here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/36599/Intel-Server-Board-S5520HC

I am going to proceed and move your thread to the Discontinued Products Community, so you can get recommendations from fellow community members. 

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
AKF00
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

I would like to be able to update the BMC when I update the server firmware however the only downloads that are available through the link provided are for recovery BIOSes and do not include the BMC firmware. Also, the recovery BIOSes all state that they need a certain minimum version of the BMC to work properly, unfortunately it appears that there is no BMC firmware currently installed on the system.

I did manage to find on the internet a file which includes the BIOS, BMC, FRU & ME firmwares as a bundle (BIOS 60, BMC 0.58, FRU 30, ME 112) however there is a warning in the txt install file: "If BMC 00.40 has not been installed then please install that release first prior to installing this 00.58 release. The BMC 00.40 update contains a critical boot block update which must be present before installing this 00.58 release."

I also (from the same site) found another update bundle with an earlier version of all the firmware but in the release notes it states:

The following update process must be followed to ensure a trouble free update from the BIOS R0025/R0025.1, BMC00.28 releases.

1. BMC firmware to 00.34 or later

2. BIOS R0033 or later

3. Manageability Engine (ME) firmware 01.10 or later

4. Latest FRU/SDR package specific to the baseboard."

Again, since the BMC firmware on the board I have seems to be missing I am leery about running this bundle as well. Would be great if Intel kept the files for their legacy products available instead of deleting them.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello AKF,

We appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
AKF00
Beginner

Turns out to have been a waste of time, I pulled the board out of the case and discovered 4 components missing around the Serverworks IC. Turns out the customer was trying to install a USB PCIe card and dropped their screwdriver a couple of times into the case, although how they managed to rip off a 5pin SMD component and pull the traces along with it doesn't sound like dropped tool damage.

0 Kudos