Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Does anybody know how to fix a problem with my computer not booting after a CPU upgrade attempt?

LArro
Beginner

Hi, (I apologize for my bad englisch) I wanted to upgrade my CPU so I bought a i5-3470, when I put it on the motherboard I only get 4 short beep sounds. I thought that the new CPU had issues so I put the old one back and now I have a constant beep with this one, it is a i5-2310. The motherboard is from a Acer AX3960 computer and some other components that I have are the power supply 650W from GameMax, GTX 760 from Zotac, 1 Tb Seagate HDD, 10 Gb ram (4 Gb Hyperx and 6Gb Kingstone, all are DDR3 1333Hz). So far I tried putting the new CPU on the motherboard and reset the CMOS by removing the battery, re-plug the RAM one by one, re-plug the Gpu and the Hard drive but nothing works. The old CPU that previously worked without any problems now doesn´t work either, I also tried to solve the problem with the same steps as before but it didn´t work. Does anybody know how to fix it? The computer turns on but I don´t get any image, so I can´t make changes in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you ask Acer if your i5-3470 was compatible with their bios? That is the first place to start. Contact acer with your questions.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the BIOS currently has no support for 3rd gen Core processors, then you need a 2nd gen Core processor to update it with. Again, contact your board manufacturer regarding this.

...S

0 Kudos