Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Does the D420 come with screw mounts? Why are they not in the CAD model?

IConw
Beginner

Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Datasheet.pdf - Section 7.7 discusses mounting with the screw hole+fork or with the bracket. But I downloaded the D420 CAD file (from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026841/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology.html) and it doesn't have any screw mounts.

Does this variant not have screw mounts? Or is the CAD model missing them?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello IConw, Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense D420 Module. MatyG's response is indeed true. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a modified stiffener. A solution for mounting the D420 will be to create a 3D Print, as you have previously mentioned. Thank you and best regards, Eliza

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Section 7.7.2 states that the bracket acts as an opening or thermal filler for the IR projector component. According to the data sheet, the D420 module has left and right IR imager sensors but does not have an IR projector (which projects a pattern of semi-random dots onto a scene to add texture detail to it). A bracket would therefore not be needed for this model. This is reflected by the availability of brackets for D400, 410 and 430 but not 420.

Page 102 of the data sheet has a 2D diagram of the D420 module. It - and the D415 module - do not have the referenced fork and screw-hole on the sides of them.

0 Kudos
IConw
Beginner

Thanks.

I understood that you could use either the screw mount or the bracket mount method. I was hoping to use the screw-hole/fork instead of the bracket anyway.

But given they do not provide screw-holes, I would like to know if there are recommended mounting techniques for the 420. It still has alignment holes, which are great. But the lack of screw-holes means we probably have to lightly clamp it into place. Given their discussion of not stressing the stiffener, this doesn't seem ideal.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is not much reference information about the D420 model, as it does not appear frequently on the RealSense forums.

I would speculate that the best option may be to connect the D420 module to the Vision Processor D4 component using a 'Rigid Interposer board' component. This allows the D4 board and the depth module to be plugged onto either end of the rigid board instead of having to connect the two boards with a flexible cable. So if the D4 is securely mounted then the depth module should be held static in mid-air by the interposer board that it is plugged onto. The Vision Processor D4 Board has secure mounting holes on it.

https://www.framos.com/en/d400-rigid-50-pin-interposer-20737

1.png

0 Kudos
IConw
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I guess most people are using the active stereo/IR modules rather than the passive ones (400/420). Still the 400 has the screw holes in the drawing, and the 420 doesn't. I wonder why.

Mounting via electrical connectors and a PCB is not a good idea. Electrical connectors and PCBs are not designed to support mechanical loads. So it would be insecure, and risk breaking the electrical connections (and hence the product failing).

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The rationale for having models of different configurations is to provide customers with a range of size and feature options for integration.

Intel are willing to work with companies to create custom camera designs on large-volume orders, such as an alternative sensor or a larger baseline.

1.png

Perhaps a custom mounting 3D-printed from a CAD drawing of your own creation might address the problem. On the original generation of RealSense camera, Intel sold a housing where a caseless version of the camera could be placed in a recess in the housing.

https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-platform-for-uavs-enclosure.html

Someone also created a custom CAD mount for the D415 model.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/lAyhkwykfVP-realsense-d415-bumblebee-camera-mount?language=en_US

Also, Intel have some RealSense camera configurations available to limited customers, such as the D460 (I do not know its hardware configuration). The CTO of the RealSense Group has said "Please contact Intel sales and they can help you with getting hands on the D460".

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I wonder if the D400 module might suit your needs, as it has the fork and screw-hole on its sides. Like the D420, it lacks an active projector. The depth camera module is about 10 mm wider than the D420 (74 instead of 64) and it has a slower Rolling Shutter instead of the faster Global Shutter that the D420 and D430 have (making them better at tracking motion). But if the D400 can fit your product's size constraints and it does not need to track quick motion, it may be a viable and easy alternative.

1.png

0 Kudos
IConw
Beginner

Yes, we would 3D print a custom mount for prototyping. The tinkercad mount you linked to seems to be designed to mount with the screw hole/fork as we can expected to do ourselves.

We want the global shutter, wider angle and smaller size of the 420. We will just have to use a more complex method of mounting. Unless intel can provide a modified stiffener for the D420? Any @ intel listening? Perhaps they have already made one for another customer.

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Intel's support staff usually work Monday-Friday, so they may not be around til tomorrow. I will link one of them in to this message to make sure they see it. @Jesus G.​ 

I have not heard of Intel providing blueprints for custom stiffeners though. The data sheet document generally provides enough details about non-electronic parts such as stiffeners, gaskets and cover materials for integrators to create their own custom versions if they wish.

0 Kudos
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello IConw, Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense D420 Module. MatyG's response is indeed true. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a modified stiffener. A solution for mounting the D420 will be to create a 3D Print, as you have previously mentioned. Thank you and best regards, Eliza
0 Kudos