Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Hello, My laptop is running with Intel Core Duo T2400 @ 1.83GHz Codename Yonah Core Speed 997.4 MHz RAM 2GB XP Pro and SSD Does anibody know if it’s fit Windows 10? Thanks

Philippe13
Beginner
0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Windows 10 should install and run, but hardware this old is unsupported by Intel. Microsoft's compatibility drivers are used in this case. Their performance is poor. Microsoft is no longer maintaining these compatibility drivers and, if you have a problem with them, Microsoft will note your issue but do nothing about it.

Honestly, you have an ancient machine (14 years old!) and keeping it running is going to get harder and harder. You eventually will reach a point where the compatibility issues will prevent it from working -- if the hardware doesn't fail before then. If you want to run Windows 10, it is time to purchase something much, much newer.

Reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
Philippe13
Beginner

Yes reality bites....unfortunately ;-)

my dell is still very fresh and fast (thanks ssd), so i feel guilty to change it.

so i was hoping about a (more) long life solution!

BUT my browsers are nearly out of order

YOUTUBE send warning about some non-fitable format

so i am going to prepare to leave this old friend!

Sadly this issue is not the earth-friendly one expected

thanks for your advice

best regards from south of France

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can always try installing Windows 10 and see whether you can put up with the poor graphics performance. Remember that you can still install Windows 10 from scratch using Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 license keys (i.e. no need to purchase Windows 10 license key).

...S

0 Kudos
Philippe13
Beginner

Ok,

what do you think is the best way?

I am not familiar with such a gap to change 2 different OS

i did it already from 7 to 10

but XP to 10 ....???

should i try to use a virtual box?

is it the good way?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I know of no way to upgrade from Windows XP. Since MS had already EOLed XP when they released Windows 10, they did not include support for upgrading from it.

If you want to save money and use an old Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 license, then you need to do a from-scratch install. You have to use a Windows 10 license key if you want to upgrade.

Here is how I do it:

1. Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (this will automatically download the version of the tool for the latest major update).
  2. Use this tool to both download the Windows 10 image and load your USB installation flash disk.
  3. Boot from this media in UEFI mode.
  4. When you get to the screen where you pick the partition to install to, delete *all* partitions on the drive. This ensures that a proper GPT partition table will be created.
  5. You can create the partitions as you want them or (I think best) let Windows 10 control this by telling it to install to the free space (which at this point encompasses the whole drive).
  6. That's it, let it complete the install.

I have never played with installing Windows 10 into any virtualized environment; I wouldn't want to waste a Windows license key this way.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Philippe13
Beginner

Thanks for your helpfull advice.

cross fingers in case i proceed ;-)

0 Kudos