Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Is Intel HD Graphics 3000 always integrated in i5 2520M CPU?

gchio
Beginner

My notebook screen seems dead, I think because the AMD GPU is gone forever, and I'm using an external monitor with Microsoft Standard VGA. I found the i5 2520M CPU should have Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated but both direct driver installation and Intel driver and support assistanI say "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". From notebook specifications (WIN 7 64 , HP Elitebook 8560p) I cannot understand clearly if every model has HD Graphics 3000. If this is the case for my notebook, is there a trick to recover it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

According to

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52229/intel-core-i5-2520m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html

it should contain a HD 3000

Open device manager where both GPUs should be listed.

Also review this article:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

gchio
Beginner

Stefan and Scott, thanx for your time; either by device manager, or by in-depth tests on the notebook hardware, using HP and other external tools, there is no trace of an AMD or Intel gpu, only a standard vga appears; it is not possible to install any catalyst or intel driver.

HP supprt page describes two versions of the same model:

-Models with discrete graphics AMD Radeon HD 6470M with 1GB dedicated DDR3 video memory Microsoft DirectX 11 (Shader Model 5.0) and OpenGL 4.0 capable. AMD Eyefinity Technology supports up to four independent displays when using an HP Advanced Docking station.

-Models with integrated graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Microsoft DirectX 10.1 (Shader Model 4.1) and OpenGL 3.0 capable

from which it could be inferred that there isn't the switchable graphics option indicated here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

going back from the serial number, HP does not provide any more information about the gpu and not even in the bios there are settings that

allow the configuration of the card

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like you have a fairly unusable laptop.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, you need to ascertain whether HP cooked their BIOS such that the default is to disable the processor graphics engine (because the NVIDIA GPU is present). If the NVIDIA engine has died, you could try enabling processor graphics in the BIOS.

The real answer here is, considering its age and this (NVIDIA GPU) failure, it is time to start looking for a replacement for this laptop.

...S

gchio
Beginner

Thankyou Scott, see my answer above...

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

One GPU must be alive, otherwise you would have no video output at all.

Find a tool named "RWEverything" (not for the faint of heart) and check the PCI devices.

0 Kudos