Items with no label
3335 Discussions

RealSense pi4 support for 435 camera?

RTasa
New Contributor I

Even if I have to recompile is there any proper Arm8 for the Pi4 4GB and Intel Realsense and the 435 camera?

I have searched compiled and rebuilt and compiled and came up empty. Everything I have tired took forever only to not work in the end.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There have been a couple of RealSense users recently who got their 400 Series camera working with RPi4 and Raspian Blaster, though the process tends to be fiddly. It may be easier though to install Librealsense using a process called libuvc-backend that can enable successful installation without kernel patching, and in cases where the regular installation instructions have not worked.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/blob/master/doc/libuvc_installation.md

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

install Librealsense using a process called libuvc-backend 

Tried it and that didn't work. I will have figure out the fiddly route. Pretty disappointed there isn't something that will allow me to just pick up and go with this amazing Pi. I was going to spend the weekend trying to implement realsense code. Instead I am going to have to spend it trying to install realsense, what a waste.

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

Looked at the link not sure it will work but will give it a try. The Pi4 needs a champion that is far more skilled than I to make these great input tools usable.

The new camera the T265 seems amazing. Do you know if positioning is offloaded onto the camera so no CPU overhead? Really looking forward to buying one of those.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The T265 differs from the 400 Series cameras in that it does not have depth sensing built in (though it is possible to generate a rough depth-map from its fisheye sensors that is not as accurate as a proper depth camera but is better than nothing). The T265 can be paired with a depth camera such as the 400 Series models though to provide the best of both worlds - great depth sensing and great tracking data.

Yes, the T265 has data offloading so a PC CPU does not have to process the calculations. It contains a Movidius Myriad 2 Vision Processing Unit (VPU), and its fisheye data is fed into the VPU too. It can fuse inertial and video sensors to produce a 6DOF pose.

The T265 is useful in applications where you need very high quality tracking data. Intel have published a technical guide for its hardware and how to get IMU data from it.

https://www.intelrealsense.com/how-to-getting-imu-data-from-d435i-and-t265/

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

I currently have the 435 not 435i. Was thinking they would be OK together. One for depth and object recognition the other for motion in places where the GPS data I was imputing was not optimal.

Is there a big difference between the 435i and 435? Thought the IMU was it and since I was looking at the 265 I really didn't care. Or is there something in the 435i's magic thats better

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The D435i is the same as the D435 except for the added IMU, which is the same IMU component as the one in the T265 (except the D435i does the processing on a PC instead of a built-in VPU). If you are going to do motion tracking that does not rely on GPS, the ideal pairing would be the D435 you already have and a T265.

An Intel representative said that the T265's SLAM is about as accurate as GPS at a 100 cubic meter range.

The video in the link below shows pairing of T265 and D435 at 17 minutes 15 seconds in

https://youtube.com/watch?v=62vm0_RZ1nU

RTasa
New Contributor I

An Intel representative said that the T265's SLAM is about as accurate as GPS at a 100 cubic meter range.

Perfect. Its what I have been thinking. The GPS great for outdoors and open sky while the t265 Ok for indoors and covered sky. Lots to do and think about. Thanks,

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

Just wanted to add, I have spent quite a few days trying to get Realsense/D435 to work on the Pi4 and failed spectacularly. Sadly my Linux skill are not strong enough to get it to work. When things don't compile I just give up. Why does Intel need such a strong hook to the hardware to modify the kernel? Anyway getting D435 to work on the Pi4, which seems like an exceptional device, will have to wait. Need to look for another solution. I refuse to use Windows for this. FYI I also tried an Atomic Pi with Ubuntu and it did not work either. I will also state the Linux directions are vague as well. So looking elsewhere. Maybe drag out my TX2 and use that with another stereo graphic camera.

I has such hopes

0 Kudos