Items with no label
3335 Discussions

SR300 not working in Windows 10 Insider 14986

LSpol
Novice

Hi, I have big issues with my SR300 and Windows 10 Insider 14986. Unfortunately I don't know if it was working in previous builds; I just upgraded my motherboard and CPU of my PC.

1. Device manager looks normal, under Universal Serial Bus Devices I have Intel RealSense Camera SR300 with Microsoft driver; under Imaging devices I have SR300 Depth (driver intel 3.3.27.5717) and SR300 RGB (driver Microsoft). I don't see the SR300 virtual driver that other people mention.
  2. Native Camera app doesn't work: error 0xA00F4244 (0xC00D36D5) also other app (like Skype) will not detect the camera)
  3. Can't configure Windows Hello, after clicking get started, the button disappear, nothing else happen, and the only other button is "Cancel".
  4. Camera Explorer say that both Camera Front and Long Range are not connected.
  5. SDK Information attached, but sometimes by clicking the camera tab, the app crash.

I tried to uninstall/reinstall the drivers and the devices several times, but nothing help. Also, Windows Update will install automatically the latest driver 3.3.27.5718.

SysInfo export attached (I have an i7-6700 so the camera is fully supported by my machine).

73 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

I also belong to the Windows Insider Program, receive Preview Builds, and want to report that the webcam Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 stopped working on my HP ENVY Notebook, running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit , Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.14).

The webcam had worked perfectly for about a year until the Windows update installed on 4/4/2017 "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016251)" or possibly "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016250)" installed on 4/1/2017. I'd really appreciate any help or advice. Please excuse any duplicate posts on this board. I just want to be certain that I am experiencing the same issue that others have reported.

Here's a list of my recent Windows updates and other updated files installed from Intel:

So far, I have manually downloaded from Intel the following file: intel_rs_dcm_sr300_3.3.27.5718.exe. I tried to run this file but it encountered an error. Next, I downloaded this file: sp75602.exe from the HP website. Intel RealSense Depth Camera Manager. It ran to completion and indicated that it had installed all drivers for Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 Depth. However the webcam still does not function, and it also seems that I am missing a third item in the Device Manager reported here as the Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 Virtual Driver as well as the driver for the Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 Depth.

Here is a view of my Device Manager:

Another possibly related issue is this esrv.exe application error message that I now receive after rebooting and arriving at Desktop:

Finally, here's a copy of my Device Manager Events Log:

I just wanted to present specifics about my incident to determine # 1, if it is exactly the same as others have reported here, # 2, if this error message is caused by the missing drivers, and # 3, if there is any action that I can take myself to resolve this issue. Please advise. Thanks for any replies or comments. Cheers, Joel

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Looking at your Device Manager list Ecto, I can see an obvious problem. In the Imaging Devices section, you should have a 'Virtual Driver' listed below your RGB and Depth drivers. If the Virtual Driver is absent then it can stop the camera from functioning properly. Here is the procedure I use to fix it, which requires an internet connection

1. In the Device Manager, right-click on each of the drivers for the affected camera - RGB and Depth - and select the Uninstall option to remove that camera's drivers from the Device Manager list. When you are finished, there should be no drivers listed for the camera.

2. Unplug the camera from its USB port.

3. Wait a couple of seconds and plug the camera back into its USB port. If you are connected to the internet, Windows 10 should now search the internet for the missing RGB, Depth and virtual drivers and install them one by one. Over the course of 5 to 10 seconds after insertion of the camera, each of them should appear in the Device Manager, and any yellow error warnings the drivers had should be gone.

If you do not have an internet connection available, running the DCM installation program can do the same thing for offline users.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Marty,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I understand all of your steps except for # 2. The Intel(R) RealSense(TM) web Camera SR300 is built into my laptop above the screen and installed internally. I don't know how to easily unplug it from a USB port and don't want to have to open the laptop to access the motherboard, etc. Is there a work around for step # 2. Also, since this incident happened after installing Windows 10 Insider Preview 15063 Build and other Windows 10 updates between 04/01 to 04/04/2017, would I need to have Microsoft resolve this with another Windows update?

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you're using an internal cam, that makes things a little more complex. One of the Intel support guys once told me that the automatic downloading of the drivers happens through Windows Update. So you could try typing 'update' into the text box at the bottom of your Windows screen, next to the button where you shut the PC down, to find the 'Check for updates' option. On the updates window, click the 'Check for updates' button.

As I said, the alternative way to restore drivers once they have been uninstalled is to download and run the DCM installer program.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Marty,

Yes, I also tried using the DCM installer program with these results:

I guess this leaves only 1 other option, just wait for Microsoft to fix the issue caused by their updating Windows 10. Is that the way you also see it?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would speculate that if you got that error message then the Windows Preview Build update may have changed the way that Windows is handling the USB ports, so that it is no longer supplying the camera with enough power for the camera to be reliably detected by Windows.

You could wait for another Windows preview build. Often though, an instant cure for that error is to purchase a 'powered USB 3.0 hub' from a place such as Amazon and plug the camera into the hub instead of directly into the PC's USB port. You can get them for around $15 to $20.

A powered hub draws its power from a mains power-point and is known as an 'active' connection. The USB ports on PCs, whose power is supplied by the PC's internal power supply, is known as 'passive'.

Most of the time, a powered USB hub is an immediate cure for camera detection issues. It doesn't solve every single case but given the hub's relatively low cost, it is often worth a try.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is not a power issue. Read earlier posts please in which Intel replied acknowledging that the latest Windows insider build is causing the driver to not be recognized. I understand that both Microsoft and Intel are working on this issue. An internal webcam can't be plugged into an external power hub. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Sorry, it occurred to me that it couldn't be USB as you had already said it was an internal cam. I think I need to eat some lunch to wake my brain up.

There was an issue for a long while with RealSense not working with recent Preview builds after the big Anniversary update but it had supposedly been fixed. It's possible they broke it again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ecto,

Yes, you are encountering the same problem I referenced earlier. We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it. I will be posting a blog with guidance on resolution when it becomes available.

Regards,

Jesus

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jesus,

Thank you for confirming that you are working on this issue and that my problems are the same as earlier reports. Please, can you give me a fix timeframe for resolution? Is it days, weeks, months? Just an estimate, please. I have contacted Microsoft, but they claim no responsibility, as the following response by Microsoft representative Vanessa Oca: "The driver of the Web Camera should be compatible with the Windows latest build. It will best to have this concern referred to your PC manufacturer. Kindly reach out to HP for a workaround or solution." Please see: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-camera/intel-realsense-web-camera-sr300-disabled-on-hp/f194bf71-1be4-440e-ab7a-ce997654ba20?tm=1491478816952 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-camera/intel-realsense-web-camera-sr300-disabled-on-hp/f194bf71-1be4-440e-ab7a-ce997654ba20?tm=1491478816952 for complete technical details of this problem. I also contacted HP President and CEO Dion Weisler, but have not yet received a response. What is the extent of this issue? How many other users are impacted by it? Thank you again for keeping me informed about any progress.

Please be aware that this is seriously impacting my work and productivity. I cannot take part in 2-way web video seminars, Skype videos, and of course, simply automatically logging in via Windows Hello. Therefore I would consider this matter as urgent. Thank you again.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am so happy. This issue is finally resolved for me after a remote logon by Greg H. at the Microsoft Answer Desk. Greg asked for my HP laptop model and serial number, went to the HP website, and download the Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver, installed it, rebooted, and Windows Hello and my Intel webcam were functioning again! Then, to correct the Esrv.exe error that I had also started to receive at about the same time that Windows Hello stopped functioning, but was still appearing at the desktop after rebooting, Greg uninstalled the Intel Update Utility, version 2.7.2. Everything is working perfectly again. HP support couldn't solve this issue, Intel couldn't, and even my first chat with Microsoft support couldn't resolve it, and updated my case number to Level II support asking for a Windows update to correct it. Wow, after working on this myself for almost a week, I am so delighted that it is finally resolved. I just hope that my experience may also be of help to others with the same or similar or similar issue. Cheers, Joel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ecto,

I'm glad the SR300 is working for you again. Can you please be more specific on exactly what is working? Have you tried the RealSense SDK samples or any other RealSense app that uses depth? I can get Windows Hello to work and other RGB (color only) applications work fine also. We are having problems with Depth, specifically.

I will update the Announcement and Blog to reflect this.

Regards,

Jesus

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jesus,

In my situation, the Intel webcam was not recognized by any application, such as Windows Hello, Skype, Camera, or any other App that is on my HP laptop device which uses the webcam. While this imaging device showed up in the device manager, along with the two drivers, (1) Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 Depth, and (2) Intel(R) (RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 RGB. Intel(R) RealSense(TM) Camera SR300 Virtual Driver still is NOT present and I'm not sure if it ever was present, because I never looked for it before this incident.

Please explain what you mean by " We are having problems with Depth, specifically." How can I test or replicate to see if this same issue also affects my machine? You asked: "Have you tried the RealSense SDK samples or any other RealSense app that uses depth?" Please point me to an application. Send me a link to it. I was never previously aware of any issues involving Depth on my device, other than the facial recognition metrics used by Windows Hello. That's why I initially asked if my issue was exactly the same as those reported by others here, and you replied that it was. Would like to do a remote logon to my machine to examine it more closely? I would be pleased make myself available.

Also, should the device manager show 3 drivers for this imaging device instead of just 2 drivers? Please kindly clarify, because I don't understand the issues that you are describing, and just wanted to return functionality to the webcam. At least, that has been accomplished.

Thank you again.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
UDe_M1
Beginner

Same issue here after the Win10 creators update. My basic CAMERA app not working, as well as any 3D capture app (Sense or IRFaceRig for example). Uninstalled and reinstalled all SR300 drivers from scratch but it did not help. I would appreciate a fix from Intel and/or Microsoft; as not having a working camera is quite a limiting situation. Thanks !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ecto,

For Windows 10 versions prior to Windows 10 Creators Build 15063, you would see three entries in Device Manager -> Imaging Devices: SR300 RGB, Depth, and Virtual Driver. This would tell you that the Depth Camera Manager (DCM) was correctly installed.

The SR300 Virtual Driver was used by RealSense applications to access the Depth capabilities of the camera. Apps do not use the Depth node directly.

Intel will be deploying new SR300 drivers for Windows 10 Creators Build 15063 that will not rely on the traditional DCM. But the initial drivers had bugs, which is what I was referring to. When you reported your issue, it looked very much like the issues with the depth functions of the camera. We did not realize that you were not using the SDK or any RealSense app. You were only using Windows Hello and the RGB functions, which supposedly worked well.

You can get the latest SDK from https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk/download and download the Face Tracking package that you will see about halfway down the page. Follow these installation https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v2016r3/documentation/html/index.html?doc_devguide_software_installation.html instructions. Then open the Face Tracking sample from c:\program files (x86)\Intel\RSSDK\bin\x64\FaceTracking.exe. See if you can get it to work using these instructions: https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v2016r3/documentation/html/index.html?sample_face_tracking_cpp_cs.html.

We are working with RealSense engineering to solve all of these issues. Be very careful when using SR300 with Windows 10 Creators Build 15063. It is not guaranteed to work. Yet.

Regards,

Jesus

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jesus,

Thank you for explaining in detail the RealSense webcam driver issues that you are trying to resolve as a result of Windows 10, Version 1703 (OS Build 15063) incompatibility.

I was able to restore the Windows Hello facial recognition function on my HP ENVY laptop with the help of technician John L. at the Microsoft Answer Desk via online chat and remote logon.

Here are the step-by-step instructions that might be of help to others:

# 1 - Check that the latest Windows 10 Updates have been installed in Settings - Windows Update

# 2 - Run Device Troubleshoot in Settings - Troubleshoot - Hardware & Devices and if Video 3D driver updates are found, click install

# 3 - Re-install Intel Chipset at HP https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/ https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/ (Enter your particular computer name and serial number)

# 4 - Remove Webcam drivers in Device Manager - Imaging Devices - Right click on Intel RealSense Camera SR300 Depth and repeat on Intel RealSense Camera SR300 RGB (Note that virtual driver is missing)

# 5 - Reboot

Windows Hello should now be working after rebooting. If not,

# 6 - Check that webcam drivers have re-populated in Device Manager. If not, open Device Manager, right click on the name of your computer at the top of the listing in Device Manager, and click on Scan for Hardware Changes.

# 7 - Improve facial recognition at Settings - Windows Hello - Face Recognition - Click on Improve Recognition

I know that this procedure will work on HP laptops and may work on other OEM devices as well. Step # 3, reinstalling the Intel Chipset driver is redundant and may not be necessary, but may be done as a precaution to be sure that the latest Intel Chipset drivers are installed.

From my own experience, I would advise others not to attempt to install the Intel RealSense Camera SR300 Virtual driver until it is fully tested and certified as being compatible with the latest Windows 10 build. I am satisfied for now that I again have functionality for Windows Hello, Skype, and other Apps which use the webcam.

Thank you again Jesus, and others on this forum, for your help, suggestions, and support.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Great news that you got Windows Hello restored, Joel - thanks so much for sharing this information with the community!

0 Kudos
MPröl
Beginner

Hello,

after the latest major Windows Update I encountered the issue where the RealSense Virtual Driver is not showing up in the device manager. I tried to reinstall the DCM, but that did not solve anything.

Can you please solve this driver issue asap as I have customers that paid a lot of money for my RealSense based app ( http://kinesicmouse.com). These people depend on this app to be working. I will do my best to share the information with my customers that the SR300 is currently not working with the latest Win10, but it is not that easy to stop Win10 from updating itself.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The ideal solution would be to wait til a bug-fix is issued by Microsoft. If time is an essential factor for you though, there was someone who said that they contacted a Microsoft representative who fixed their camera by making some changes to the PC through a remote access link. The person posted a list of the file download steps that they believed the representative went through, but admitted they may have forgotten some of the things he did,

Nevertheless, I will link you to the entire discussion thread so you can decide for yourself what you want to do with it,

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Intel-RealSense-Webcam-SR300-disabled-on-HP-ENVY-Notebook/td-p/6070331 Solved: Intel RealSense Webcam SR300 disabled on HP ENVY Notebook af... - HP Support Forum - 6070331

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Whilst Intel works on an official solution for the issues with the Creators Update, I thought I would point you to the details provided by a user who says that they managed to get their camera working with the Update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you so much for contributing this post, Joel. Intel is still working with Microsoft on this issue. Joel, would you mind if I extract your post and put it on the Featured Content list on the top of our Community with full attribution to you? I think many users will benefit from it.

Clarification on the Virtual Driver..The Virtual Driver is no longer necessary with Windows Creators Build. In fact, the whole Depth Camera Manager is gone. It is being replaced with UWP drivers that work with Microsoft's native Frameserver capabilities in Windows Creator. We will post more info on this change as it becomes available.

Regards,

Jesus

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos