Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Interlaced encoding support in modern GPU

OTorg
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm currently working with DG2 (A380) graphics card.

Looks like it can't encode interlaced video to h.264 (AVC) format.

Is it really true by GPU design or I have a bug in drivers/VPL?

PS:

If interlaced signals support is removed from new video cards, then I think it is a good idea to reflect it in the feature specifications here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/onevpl/developer-reference-media-intel-hardware/1-1/overview.html

https://github.com/intel/media-driver#components-and-features

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RajashekarK_Intel

Hi, Thanks for your patience.

We regret to inform you that, currently there is no support to Encode Interlaced video to h.264(AVC) on DG2 and this might be planned to feature in the long term. Could you please let us know if you need any further information on this.

Regards,

Rajashekar

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RajashekarK_Intel

Hi, Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

In order to debug your issue further, can you provide the below details.

1. Processor Information:

2. OS Details:

3. oneVPL Version:

4. oneVPL GPU Runtime version: 

5. Your sample interlaced video as a zip file if possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajashekar

0 Kudos
OTorg
New Contributor III

I checked it in two environments:

1. Processor: i7-11700 and i7-6700

2. OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 21H2

3. oneVPL Version: 2.8

4. oneVPL GPU Runtime version: 2.8, driver 31.0.101.4255

5. sample interlaced video: since the input data is an uncompressed video, then you can take any arbitrary content, even a random set of bytes, it does not matter

To reprocude, you can use sample_encode from oneVPL SDK.

sample_encode.exe h264 -AdapterNum 1 -hw -d3d11 -w 1920 -h 1080 -f 25 -tff -b 3000 -timeout 20 -i input.raw -o NUL:

where -AdapterNum parameter should correspond to DG2 card

Without -tff parameter (which means progressive), the application works.

With -tff parameter (which means interlaced), the application is unable to initiate encoding engine.

0 Kudos
RajashekarK_Intel

Hi,

We are checking on this internally and get back to you once we have an update.

Regards,

Rajashekar

0 Kudos
RajashekarK_Intel

Hi, Thanks for your patience.

We regret to inform you that, currently there is no support to Encode Interlaced video to h.264(AVC) on DG2 and this might be planned to feature in the long term. Could you please let us know if you need any further information on this.

Regards,

Rajashekar

0 Kudos
r00tb33r
Novice
We would like to know if this fairly basic feature is planned for DG2.

It's absence is frankly unexpected.
0 Kudos
OTorg
New Contributor III

Hi Rajashekar,

Can you tell if the lack of interlacing will be in all modern/future dGPU/iGPU or only in some models?

0 Kudos
RajashekarK_Intel

Hi,

Appreciate your interest, as mentioned earlier currently we don't have an ETA for this feature on DG2's, Your request will be kept on record in our database. We will continue to review this request and all other feature requests each year during planning for the next major release of the product, Please feel free to checkout the release notes of working hardware @OTorg .

cc: @r00tb33r 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/oneapi-video-processing-library-release-notes.html

Regards

Rajashekar

0 Kudos
RajashekarK_Intel

Hi

Thank you for sending us this request to improve our product, If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Rajashekar

0 Kudos