Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

h.264 profiles supported by Quick Sync

Yu_Z_
Beginner

Quick Sync is a dedicated hardware core on the processor die for h.264 encoding. How many profiles of H.264 does it support? I want to know whether it supports High 4:4:4 Predictive Profile (Hi444PP) which is a lossless encoding profile.

I only have an IVY-based CPU(i3-3220) with HD2500 in which it seems as if only three profiles are supported, i.e., baseline, main and high. Does Quick Sync supports Hi444PP in the latest SKL-based CPU with the GEN9 GPU. 

To my knowledge, Quick Sync’s counterpart, NVIDIA’s NVENC support Hi444PP ever since the first generation Maxwell GPUs. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

Thank you for your question.

Currently you can find H264 profiles in "CodecProfile" part in page 162 in Intel Media SDK Reference Manual.

Skylake (Gen9 GPU) not official support yet. On Windows, you can refer to How to run Media SDK samples on Skylake  for your test if you want.

I want to understand following question -

Why do you want use Hi444PP ?

What kind of application need this profile in your plan ?

You can send private message to me about these.  your input is very useful for us. 

Thanks

Zachary

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

QSV and MediaSDK for Gen9 and all previous generations supports only 4:2:0 8 bits profiles, as you listed baseline, main, high.

0 Kudos